Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 scale FW-190D
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 - 05:33 PM UTC
Well, I had a couple of Academy 1/72 scale Focke-Wulf 190D's which had been almost completely assembled and painted, just had to decal them and put some small pieces like landing gear on them.

I took decals, because I didn't want to use the Academy ones, from FW's both 190 A's and D's and cobbled together the markings.

Hope you like looking. Excuse the white glue drying inside the canopy! LOL Russell

Jose_Barbosa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hi Siderius,

Nice Job! Congratulations.

I'm a model airplane beginner/newcomer.
I started to build airplane models, when I was 16 years old, and after 40 years I come back. I'm 56 years old !!

1)Can you explain to me, how do you wrapped the nose with the white helix ?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings
Jose
Web: http://jotabarbosa.wordpress.com
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 03:43 AM UTC
Hello Jose, welcome to Aeroscale! I think you will enjoy it here quite a bit. There is always something new to look at and people are quite helpful on here, from all over the world too.

As to the helix, that was a decal from my spare decal box. It came from a FW-190A decal sheet, I carefully applied it with a brush, made sure it was smooth all the way around, then let it dry on the spinner. After that I applied some decal softening agent such as Micro Sol or if you want to use something stronger try Solva Set solution. It snuggles the decal down onto the surface. Hope this helps you some. Keep modeling. Take care, Russell
Jose_Barbosa
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hello Siderius,

Thanks for your info.
I read the article written by Delbert about Solvaset. He says it is very strong !!

If I do not have the decal, perhaps I can cut a rectangular triangle from Tamiya tape, wrap it on the spinner and use the airbrush.
Do you think it is possible to do it ?

What is the manufacturer of your Fock Wolf FW190 kit (Academy, Tamiya,..) ?
I ask this because I'm building a Junkers JU 87G "Stuka", 1/72nd Scale, from Academy, and the decal sheet has
no Swastikas for the rudder.

Greetings
Jose
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hi Jose, I have never tried to paint the swirl on the spinner before, I have always had some in my spares box or with the decal for a particular model; so I haven't had to try.

As to Solvaset, yes it is strong stuff, sometimes on some decals you need it. You can "thin" it down by adding a little water to some in a small cup, to lessen its strength. I also used Mico Sol decal softening agent, which is quite useful as well and not as strong as Solvaset.

As for the swastikas, I recommend going to someplace like Squadron online, or a local well stocked hobby shop and seeing if they have any swastika sheets. These are produced in various sizes for various types of German aircraft. If all else fails, I can send you a couple swastikas from the U.S. for your Junkers 87. Take care, Russell
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 07:38 AM UTC
Nice work Russell, its always good to see another Dora.

Matrixone
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 07:47 AM UTC
Thanks Les, got to love those long nosed FW's don't you? I think they only made about 2000 out of a 20,000 run of FW 190'
s. Russell
 _GOTOTOP