_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Are there any 3 views of the Model T Hucks
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 01:01 PM UTC
I'd like to know if there are any three views of the Model T Hucks starter. I know that from time to time, someone builds a model of one, but I'd like to know if there are any three views of this, as I'd like this for future reference.

I'm not sure if HPC has any drawings of this, though.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 01:09 PM UTC
Here is a recent bit of fun.

recent thread
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 01:42 PM UTC
I saw that thread, which is why I have begun to think about possibly building a model of one. I found a Lindberg 1/32 1915 Model T Cabriolet, and thought that this might provide a reasonable starting point, and have been looking for photos of full scale Hucks on the Net, including photos of the one in the Shuttleworth collection.

I think I might be able to draw of a set of plans/drawings of some sort and pull this off, but I really would like for this to look a bit more than just an approximation, which is why I'm asking if there are any three views, at all, available.

While my primary area of interest is aircraft, sometimes the support equipment, especially the early examples which were improvised(in this case rather ingeniously, given the era), this seems to be a tad overlooked.

A long time ago, I had attempted to build a Kettenkrad tow tractor, but never could find any reasonably clear photos of the tow bars which were used, and the only scale the Kettenkrad was available in was 1`/35, and I thought I could fudge a little and use it with a 1/32 scale kit.

I actually could see the sense of the development of the Model T Hucks, because years ago, I helped in the restoration of a Tommy Morse, and was given the honor of starting when the owner came to fly it home(to make a long story about that short, the local FAA inspector refused to authorise even a ferry flight of that to the owner's personal flying field because not only did it have just a tail skid, but the engine didn't have a throttle and there were no brakes on the wheels. It was in gorgeous condition, and that engine sang sweeter than Beverly Sills at the Met), and had I not leaned back quickly enough, the prop would've bit me bad when the engine caught, which might've ruined my whole year.

Learned a few things about Le Rhones, as well.

But, the perfume of vaporised castor oil is a sweet aroma indeed.

I hope that when I am as old as that gal, I look half as good.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 05:55 PM UTC
If you write to Vintage Wings of Canada they might be willing to give you photos of their newly created starter. I doubt that there are any drawings available, because they had to recreate it from pictures and descriptions.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 09:35 PM UTC
Ok.

I was afraid of that, but figured that I'd have to go that route; eyeballing photos and seeing what fits best. Ah well, isn't that what many parts of this hobby are all about?

Now a further set of questions, some I've already begun to mull over.

On the Hucks starter, there is a chain drive coming off a power take off to drive a big sprocket which then turns the shaft and engages the sprague clutch in the aircraft spinner with the pawl that is on the end of the shaft.

What might I be able to use as a sprocket, as well as a drive chain? Is the chain nothing more than a motorcycle drive chain, or similar? If so, then is there an aftermarket accessory which could be used for this?

Also, the big sprocket. Now, from what I've seen of the few closeups of the drive sprocket, this looks like little more thant a big sprocket off a bicycle, the one the pedals are connected to. Is there a scale bicycle available that I could get the sprocket off of, or is there another way to improvise?

I've seen a few models of the Model T Hucks, and the sprocket looks like little more than a naked disc, no teeth, and in the photos of full size Hucks, the teeth on the sprocket are quite noticeable. I'm wondering if I might be able to use a sprocket off a bicycle model, or something similar, or even a real sprocket out of an old wind up alarm clock(I'm grasping at thoughts).

The more I consider this, the more viable this project seems to become.
 _GOTOTOP