Modern aircraft of the United States.
Revamped windows on a Piedmont 737
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 05:03 PM UTC
Well I removed the windows on one side of this Piedmont Boeing 737-200; thought it helped the look. I did have problems with the decals not matching up exactly with the fuselage doors and the decals ink actually ran a bit, they were old I must admit. I think the model looks better than it did. Russell

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 05:12 PM UTC
You might want to splash on some Solvaset to melt the little bits of loose decal film back into place. Then once the Solvaset dries, it will help to very carefully run a very fine pointed black felt pen around the edges of the window openings. This will help darken them up and make them seem to disappear into the inside of the model. If you have faith in your brush painting skills, you could use flat black on a 10-0 brush. I'd recommend an acrylic for that, just in case you go overboard; cleanup is much easier

Then if you're feeling really ambitious, you could use some short lengths of white stripe to make the cockpit window frames.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 05:38 PM UTC
I don't know if I am that brave to use a marker on the windows Jessica! I don't think there is that must decal wise loose on the model though; I have used Solvaset before and you are correct it works fine. I may go ahead and give all the decals on the 73 a dose of it anyway. It generally works on those though decals.

I take heart that a 1/72 scale Piedmont 737-200 is being released, although I would enjoy seeing the old Blue and Red Piedmont livery done by someone again. The decals I used were probably 20 years old from the old ATP company that is now out of business. Thanks for your suggestions.

One thing I would add, I had to mix some blue and white together to get the correct shade and touch up the decals where they bled. May do some more of that work soon. Russell
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 06:16 PM UTC
Here it is. They plan several variants of the USAF scheme, plus other airlines for later release. The cabin windows will be clear, with pre-cut masks to make life easy.

There's a thread over on Britmodeller wherein the kit is discussed exhaustively, inculding a look inside the box and where it may be purchased.
 _GOTOTOP