_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
1/48 P-51D
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 01:42 PM UTC
This is my latest project. It's taken me forever to get it done because I've been so busy with work. Kit is by Testors. There are problems with the kit but it was mainly a natural metal finish experiment because I got the kit for like $3. The behemoth in the background of pic 1 is a 1/32 P-47.

Would appreciate any constructive criticism.

Bombshell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 02:39 PM UTC
NMF....................gives me the shrivels just thinking of it.

You have done a superb job on it though! What brand did you use for the metal finish?

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 02:47 PM UTC
Nice surface details. What a bargain ....$3.- I want some of them.
What brand of paint are yuo using ? MM ?
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 02:50 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments.

I'm using MM Metalizers for the paint. A krylon plastic primer went on first followed by MM Aluminum. MM Magnesium was used to highlite certain panels and doors. Invasion stripes on the underside of the tail are next.
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 03:15 PM UTC
Tin Man,

this looked real great. Can't wait to see it finished. How about them nice blue color, what color did you use?

Now, I wanna a P51 of my own in Metal Finish.

Guys, if you haven't done an NMF yet, I recommend you to pick one up, it's awesome, now I go out of my way to find planes that I can do in NMF.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 01:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about them nice blue color, what color did you use?

Thanks Dave. Not sure what you mean about blue color. If your talking about the darker panels, they're painted MM magnesium.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi Bryan :-)

I love it when I get the "this one's gonna be GOOD" feeling when I see a model!! :-)

I wont make any sugestions about "kitchen foil", 'cause I know the Atlantic's narrow this time of year...! :-)

She's looking really beautiful!!

All the best

Rowan
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bryan :-)

I love it when I get the "this one's gonna be GOOD" feeling when I see a model!! :-)

I wont make any sugestions about "kitchen foil", 'cause I know the Atlantic's narrow this time of year...! :-)

She's looking really beautiful!!

All the best

Rowan

Thanks Rowan. I remember that horrible kitchen foil experiment. I've moved past that...lol! I want to try ALCLAD next and see how that goes.

Now if I can just get some good weathering info for NMF.

Anybody here have Tamiya Magazine #99 that they would like to part with? There's a great article on a NMF mustang in that issue.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 03:26 PM UTC
Looking good Tin !!!! What decal scheme are you gonna build? Sludge wash would look great on this one.

(++)
Puma112
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 03:35 PM UTC
Tin,

It looks great...and I have this kit in the "give to a glue factory" pile.

Very nice. Please post when completed!!! I am waiting to see what really can be done with this, other than the crashed dio I am thinking about.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2003 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Tin !!!! What decal scheme are you gonna build? Sludge wash would look great on this one.

(++)

Penny, thanks for the compliment. It will be finished in the markings of Old Crow as flown by Bud Anderson. Here's a link to a reference pic and a good gouge page:

http://www.cebudanderson.com/p51ddetailpage.htm

Quoted Text

It looks great...and I have this kit in the "give to a glue factory" pile.

Very nice. Please post when completed!!! I am waiting to see what really can be done with this, other than the crashed dio I am thinking about.

Puma, you're right, the model isn't that great. In fact, the cockpit is non-existent. Overall, though, it's a quick build that is fairly straightforward. Makes a great platform to test a natural metal finish on. I'll post more pics once I've got the invasion markings painted on.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hey Tin:
She is coming along very nicely and for $3 you can never go wrong there.
The one question I have for you is. How do these metalizer paints hold up when you have to handle the model?
Last time I used these colors the paint would rub off on my fingers or the mask would pull the paint off because it was so soft.
Paul
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Tin:
She is coming along very nicely and for $3 you can never go wrong there.
The one question I have for you is. How do these metalizer paints hold up when you have to handle the model?
Last time I used these colors the paint would rub off on my fingers or the mask would pull the paint off because it was so soft.
Paul

Paul, very good questions. It's those questions that got me into experimenting with metalizers, masks and primers. I'll detail how I accomplished this in the article I write but in short here's my process:

1. Primer with Krylon plastic primer. Let dry 24 hours.
2. Spray coat of metalizer. Ensure full coverage. Let dry 24 hours.
3. Mask with post-it notes. Spray other paints. Let dry 24 hours.
4. Seal with Metalizer Sealer.

Being leary of the paint rubbing off, I was careful how I handled the model. I even wore latex gloves to avoid fingerprints. Turns out, though, I was able to get rid of the gloves. I think the krylon plastic primer forms an exceptional base on which to spray the metalizers and letting them dry 24 hours makes a good sturdy paint job. Hope this helps. Like I said, more later when I write the build article.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 10:24 AM UTC
I am glad to hear you are going to do an article. I am far away from being brave enough to do the NMF, but maybe for $3 and with an article for guidance, I would risk it.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 08:14 AM UTC
:-) Bryan this is looking great. Are the metaliser paints grainy in real life, or is it just the pics that make it look that way? Have you thought about masking and polishing one or two panels to add a little more to the affect. SNJ polishing powder should work (I believe it's the same powder as used for showing up fingerprints, so if you know any cops ) Tooth paste should work as well. What masking tape are you using, looks like something I should know about :-)
Looking forward to more on this, thanks for sharing
Mal
 _GOTOTOP