_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Would like to know more about the Halifax
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 01:34 PM UTC
I'd like to know more about the Halifax. While I haven't had much interest in British bombers, nor even much interest in building in 1/72, I just acquired an Airfix 1/72 Halifax, and find myself wanting to know more about it. What I've found so far is that it was also used as a transport after the war, so I might go in that direction as far as builing the model in the relative near future.

So, what publication(s) would be best, or would I have to go about this in a relative piecemeal manner? What paint schemes were available for the transport Halifaxes back then, and what other countries flew her?

While I could build out of the box, I'd prefer to think out of the box and go in a different direction, if I could.
Planenuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 02:04 PM UTC
This is probably the most thorough book on the Halifax
http://www.amazon.com/Handley-Page-Halifax-Victory-Beyond/dp/1906537062/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354845712&sr=1-2&keywords=halifax+bomber
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2012 - 03:40 PM UTC
The transport Hallibag was called the Halton (and Hallifax C.8 in RAF Service). Most often they were in natural metal with various colours of trim (well, okay. Except for this one). They almost always had the extended semi-circular wingtips that aren't in the Airfix kit.
Here's a really terrible picture of a Halton.

The tail turret was replaced by a fairing similar to that of the Lancastrian. Sometimes the nose bowl was metal and other times it was the same as the bomber. There was a freight panier which replaced the bomb bay.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2012 - 12:00 AM UTC
I never knew about the Halton, but now "I'ma thinkin'", and about now my wife gets worried.

Anyway, I've a question about the CVIII version. What changes were made in the airframe from B MKIII to the C MKVIII? Other than the belly pannier. I did find a couple attractive paint schemes, including the overall red one in your link.

Were the engines the same?
 _GOTOTOP