_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
'Yellow 10' - Airfix Model World inaugural bu
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi folks:

Following kind permission of the deputy editor, I've been given the green light to publish a few photos of my inaugural build in the current edition (January 2013) of Airfix Model World - 'Yellow 10'...'that' Fw190D-13...Eduard's 48th scale Weekend kit.

The mag also has a free 2013 calender, so's you can (if you are anything like me), tick off the months with the current project comment 'still not done', 'still not done', 'still not done'...lol.

Please note - images are the copyright of Airfix Model World.

Happy days.

Steve
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 07:20 AM UTC
Super nice D-13!

I really like the airbrush work.

Matrixone
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Super nice D-13!

I really like the airbrush work.

Matrixone

Hi:

I've had an ambition to cover this one for decades. In truth, I only (finally) came to do it as I'd requested an 'audition' for AMR contributor. I picked a number of kit options from my extensive mountain range of plastic and Chris Clifford opted for 'Yellow 10'.

Money where your mouth is time...lol. As the resultant article in the mag explains, the finish (fairly complex as it is) consists of no more than a few layers of colour. Breaking the scheme down into bite size sections provides a simple formula for building it up in layers, taking in little idiosyncrasies along the way (like the 'tiger' striping on the flat cowl).

Beyond that, some practice close range free handing with the airbrush is all that's needed to skin this one...and Jerry Crandall's Eagle Files #EF2 Yellow 10 and Eagle Cals EC#59 Yellow 10 and friends... wink.gif

Hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas and a happy, peaceful, modelling New Year.

Best regards

Steve
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 - 07:22 PM UTC
Very nicely done Steve. I too have planned on doing this scheme for some time.

The Airfix magazine is an excellent publication, the articals in there are all very well done; so yours must be good I will look out for it and pick your brains for when I do this
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nicely done Steve. I too have planned on doing this scheme for some time.

The Airfix magazine is an excellent publication, the articals in there are all very well done; so yours must be good I will look out for it and pick your brains for when I do this

Hi Mal:

Thanks for that - I look forward to seeing yours when it's cooked. I'm no expert on 'Yellow 10' but feel welcome to mail me at [email protected] whatever the query.

What scale will you opt for?

Hope you and yours have a great Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

Best regards

Steve
 _GOTOTOP