P51b Help please with info
Tanksami
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Can anyone please help with info regards P51b's, I am normally a ground pounder & have no reference at all for wingy things.

I have the Tamiya Kit # 92216 & I was hoping someone might have some / any colour pictures of the instrument panel. Any other reference or photos would also be greatly appreciated.

Also in the instructions it states to use a mixture of Tamiya XF3 Flat Yellow 2 parts & XF5 Flat Green 1 part, does this make the correct colour for the cockpit area? And or is their a better colour to use?

Cheers Mike
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 12:21 PM UTC
FS#34151 US interior green is the colour for the cockpit walls and such. It's available pre-mixed from the Testors Model Master range. Most of the black boxes were, unsurprisingly, black. The instrument panel is black with small bits of colour on the knobs and switches. This is a general shot of a P-51C, which is pretty much the same as a -B. This may be a restoration, but you get the general idea. An in-service aircraft would look quite a bit more used and worn.

This is a walkaround of a restored example.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 01:09 PM UTC
Hi Mike.

I use Gunze Mr Hobby Interior Green (H58) for my builds. It is a good match and readily available here in Vic.

Cheers, D
bzak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 264 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 02:24 PM UTC
Howdy,

If you are concerned with accuracy, the cockpit floor is sort of wrong for a P-51B. There should be wooden floor boards covering the curved area (it is actually the top of the wing) Tamiya has molded.

This review might help explain it better:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/tam/kit_tam_61042.shtml

Brian Riedel
Tanksami
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2012 - 02:55 PM UTC
Jessica, Damien, Brian,

Thanks very much for the replies & links, it has to be built with only very particular changes & to very defined rules on what can be modified so I am not allowed to fix the floor area.

Cheers Mike
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
AeroScale: 131 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2012 - 08:24 PM UTC
Just for clarity the photos posted are of a P-51 converted into a two-seater. It is currently used as a trainer and to give folks "stick" time on a P-51. The cockpit has therefore undergone considerable modification to modern avionics, etc. The only real difference between a -B and -C was what factory they were made in.

You can see plenty of photos here, the D instrument panel isn't all that much different than a B. Beware the temptation to go with light gray, thats on a number of Modern Mustangs but I have never seen it in WW2.
Tanksami
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2012 - 09:48 AM UTC
Thank you very much for that info as I would never have known the difference in the instrument panel colours & avionics
 _GOTOTOP