_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Help Red Baron's Albatros D.III colours?
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hi all,
I've recently picked up a cheap Pegasus 1/72 Albatros DIII from Freightdog models that had old and badly yellowed decals (Don't worry it was adverised as this, hence the low price I bought it for). I'd like to finish it as Von R's aircraft if I can but I'm having some difficulty in working out the colours. I know the fuselage has to be red, but what about upper surfaces? Where the upper wings left in the cammo, and if so what pattern? Where the wings undersides left in light blue? Nearly all the side profiles I've seen don't show these all important areas.
Thanks
Ste
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 06:31 AM UTC
i did the Eduard 1/48 kit for the Osprey Duel Campaign, and went with the Eduard instructions. Here's my finished kit.

I can dig up the painting instructions and scan them for you if you wish, just send me your e-mail address.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 06:41 AM UTC
Greetings phantom_phanatic309,

Here is the rub. MvR flew several Alb. D.III aircraft. Which are you looking for ? Early or late? Centralized or offset radiator? Two or three toned camouflage.

Lets take a look at some serial numbers. Obviously if we are talking about an early production machine. The first portion of the initial production series was Alb. D.III 1910/16 -2200/16 . 390 airframes. The next portion had offset radiators 2201/16 - 2309/16.

D. 2253/16 was 52nd airframe of these 108 airframes. Speculation has led some to think it was the one photographed with the fuselage overpainted "red".

About this time MvR flew Halberstadt D.II (or III) Alb. D.III 2253/16, Alb. D.III 1996/16 & Alb. D.III serial unknown are what we know about. See Richthofen by A.E. Ferko. Also Over the Front Vol. 3 #3, Pp. 246 - 257 by the late Dan San Abbott. The famous image of MvR's Albie taxiing tails up with the chalk outlines of the fuselage cross and the Jasta 11 group image as seen in the 1/32 Roden GB thread for the Albatros D.III is probably 2253/16 but definitive information is lacking. Three toned camouflage was used. This would have been the one Ms. Jessica posted above.

The next serial we know about that had a "red " fuselage was 789/17. It had the late offset radiator. Two toned camouflage. Now he did have an early reserve machine with only a red band around the fuselage. This was "given" to Lothar when he arrived.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 09:34 AM UTC
Cheers. I somehow knew there would never be an easy answer to this. The kit simply states 'Albatros DIII German and OAW'. And thats its. It does have the offset radiator (making it a later) and two rudders, the squared off type like Jessies and the round type. So it sounds like its the later one you mention Stephen, that I can build with it. I'll do some more digging about myself on this one, but If you can provide me with any pics or links that would fantastic.
Nice work on your Albatros by the way Jessie.

Ste
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 10:13 AM UTC
Use the squared off rudder for MvR's late Alb. D.III red bird. He did fly an OAW that had the red nose & struts after his return to JG.I from the head wound. But it was mostly factory finish. He was not happy with the performance. He went to the Alb. D.V 4693/17 in Oct. - Nov. 1917.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 02:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Use the squared off rudder for MvR's late Alb. D.III red bird. He did fly an OAW that had the red nose & struts after his return to JG.I from the head wound. But it was mostly factory finish. He was not happy with the performance. He went to the Alb. D.V 4693/17 in Oct. - Nov. 1917.

Cheers. So am I right in saying that he left the wings in factory standard? And if so what colours? Red-brown & green or purple & green?
I have to be honest this project is more about what can I do with the few WW1 decals I have in my spares. Limited to some crosses and some numbers that are too big for a little Albatros. VonR's was the first that sprang to mind.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 02:37 PM UTC
I haven't come across any D.III in mauve/green. AFAIK, they were all in brown/green.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 10:48 PM UTC
With this kit, You'd have to build a non-OAW D.III as apart from the rudder which is an easy spot the way the nose is constructed and the shape of the cockpit opening are quite different to Eduard's offering. By nose construction I mean the way the panels are shaped in long plank like lengthwise not to be confused with the Austrian D.III types of course.

Wing camo though is a very grey area red/brown, dk green & pale green, or red/brown and dk green. Like Jessica says I've seen no firm evidence the D.III had any mauve/violet though it's possible that some early (OAW) may have been finished this way.

But as we all know in this wonderful hobby you can never say never. Field repaints and repairs throwing a spanner in the works... or a wrench if you are Stateside.

Keith
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 10:21 AM UTC
Cool brown and green it is then. Would the complete fuselage including metal panels have been red?
As for the nose I've never seen Eduard's D.III in the flesh so I can't comment on its nose shape compared with the Pegasus. Its something I thought would be the same no matter which of Albatros's various construction lines built them. Besides from some of the Austrian versions anyway. My references on WW1 aircraft are very limited, hence why I'm asking here. If its just some minor and subtle difference I can live with it at this scale. Its not going to be a competition model.
Thanks
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 11:16 AM UTC
I think you are pretty safe following Jessica's example above as a guide for colouring, all cowls spinner etc as red. The difference in construction is on the nose sides below the cowls but as you say at 1/72nd it likely wont matter.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 11:29 AM UTC
Some more pics, this time showing the nose

And underside

I'd say given that yours is a late production airframe with the offset radiator the camouflage was more likely just one shade of green with brown instead of the two on this early one.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 01:20 PM UTC
Nice work Jessie. Rigging is also something I'm going to have to practice too. Might be a use of that crappy Airfix Brisfit I have.
Cool, I think I'm all set to go with this one just as soon as the desks cleared of a few ongoing builds.
Thanks to all who've helped.
Ste
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 02:44 PM UTC
Just to get back to specifics for anyone who is interested in this subject, check references. The colours used on many Alb. D.III wings is known by batch and the studies by the late Dan San Abbott. The serials of aircraft flown by or assigned to MvR are also known. His combat reports are in the British PRO. A.E. Ferko's book "Richthofen" is very comprehensive on these aircraft & their colour schemes. (Published by Albatros Pub. Ltd.)
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 01:03 AM UTC
This book is still one of my favorites; Ferko did magnificent job on it and the profiles by Ray Rimell are, to me, a priceless reference for all of Richthofen's "mounts".
It's probably no longer available but if you can get a copy I highly endorse it.
Cheers,
Lance
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 02:55 AM UTC
Sounds like it could be a good book to have but a quick search turned up a few second hand copies being sold from anywhere between £30 and £50! WAY outside of my price range unfortunately. I'll keep my eyes open and with any luck windsock will do a reprint. Has Osprey ever done anything?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like it could be a good book to have but a quick search turned up a few second hand copies being sold from anywhere between £30 and £50! WAY outside of my price range unfortunately. I'll keep my eyes open and with any luck windsock will do a reprint. Has Osprey ever done anything?

Why go with them? Its available from the publisher for £20.

Click here

Contact Ray Rimell directly if you have doubts.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Why go with them? Its available from the publisher for £20.

Click here

Contact Ray Rimell directly if you have doubts.

Well that didnt come up on my google search. Got 2 hits for amazon marketplace and ebay. Either way I'm a bit hesistant to part with cash for just one model, especially this time of year.
 _GOTOTOP