Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Question about color on Spitfire
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 05:59 AM UTC
I am building, for a review on Aeroscale, a Supermarine Spitfire IX. I had a question about the yellow bands on the leading edge of the wing of this airplane. Did all Mark IX's have this, or is it something that was optional? I thought I would ask the Spitfire experts on here and see what they think? Review to follow soon. I have been taking pictures since the build started and I hope you will all enjoy the review. Thanks to JPTRR, aka Fred for the review subject. Russell
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 06:08 AM UTC
All British and some camouflaged US fighter aircraft had this yellow stripe applied. It aided 'friend or foe'recognition in a straight-on or '6 o'clock' position.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 07:09 AM UTC
Thank you Dave for the reply, yellow i.d. stripes have been applied. Just curious, does this hold for RCAF aircraft. I have a famous photo of four RCAF Spitfire V's over North Africa and there isn't a hint of yellow on the leading edges of the wings. Thanks again for your help. Russell
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 12:02 PM UTC
The Yellow ID stripes were used on the temperate land camouflage, and I believe were introduced after the campaign in the Western Desert was over. Therefore aircraft of the desert airforce didn't have them.

RCAF fighter aircraft serving in Europe definitely had them.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 12:11 PM UTC
Thanks for clearing that up Jessica. Russell
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 05:29 PM UTC
The yellow stripes were introduced in August 1941, and were part of the changeover from green/brown/Sky to green/grey/grey; also they were for home-based fighters only, overseas aircraft remained unaffected. This applied to all squadrons, whether RAF, RCAF, or any other nationality.
Edgar
 _GOTOTOP