_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Sword Spitfire Vc trop
JackG
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 172 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 11:28 AM UTC
Sword's 1/72 scale Spitfire Vc trop. The specific aircraft markings are from Xtradecal X72-161 The Battle for Malta RAF set, but I did use the kit's stencils. I added Quickboost exhausts, but had to scratch add the piping located to the rear of the stacks, made of 0.5mm styrene rod.

Also had an Eduard PE set, but only used the screens for the larger radiator, but main reason for this AM product was for the landing gear doors. The kit's parts were too thick and actually sat on top of the wing instead of being flush - this was about the only complaint with this kit, that and the stencil placement, the orientation of which sometimes conflicted with other sources.

The yellow codes were characteristic of 185 Squadron. A decade old SAM publication states yellow was chosen because at a distance it blended well into the dark earth and midstone scheme. Xtradecal also portrays the aircraft as such. The more recent Osprey publication on Malta aces is different. It retains the yellow codes, but is finished overall in some sort of blue-grey scheme. As a compromise, I've introduced the unknown blue-grey (possibly extra dark sea grey) only to the nose area. I also added a very faded look of this colour on the wing and tail surfaces via weathering powders of the appropriate colours.

One of several pilots that flew BR294 was Canadian Wilbert Dodd. He actually flew this particular aircraft to Malta off the carrier Eagle during Operation Bowery, March 29 1942. This Spitfire was eventually struck off charge due to extensive damage from actions of July 1st and 2nd.

regards,

Jack

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 01:31 PM UTC
Looking good there, nice model. Russell
 _GOTOTOP