_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
J3 Cub clipped acro conversion
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 759 posts
AeroScale: 184 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 01:49 PM UTC
Hi everyone,

Well, I had intended to kinda get out of the hobby for now, but seems the bug won't leave....

I'm starting HobbyCraft's 1/48 Piper Cub (one of my all time favorites, if you can't tell ), but after having success modifying Minicraft's Super Cub (see my gallery), I'm going to get a little more aggressive and convert this kit to a clipped wing Cub.

(A quick Google search will tell you all you need to know about the clipped wing Cub, or CWC. Basically, removing 7 feet of inboard wing makes it more aerobatically capable airplane by increasing roll rate and maneuvering capabilities.)

Specifically, it's going to be Giles Henderson's clipped Cub that he masterfully flew in the aerobatic competition circuit for a number of years. I haven't been able to find many pictures, but I think I have enough to get what I need.

Any comments or tips are appreciated. I'll have to cut the wings, mask the starburst, create wheel pants (I have no idea how I'll do that), and print decals for the registration numbers, all of which is new to me.

Thanks for looking.

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2013 - 02:03 PM UTC
Really, Really Cooool!!!
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 - 06:55 AM UTC
Well I've finally been able to make some more progress on this and have started on the interior painting. Pretty basic and nothing much to post, but that should change soon.

I also was able to figure out how I can make Henderson's N-number without printing decals. If I make no mistakes, I can cut up the kit decals and have just enough to get the letters and numbers I need. Wish me luck!

The only problems I foresee right now are on the clear parts that compose the fuse halves and the wings. The left fuse half is missing the forward section of the wing root, which will be very interesting to fill in with putty without looking awful through the windows.

Also, both wings are curved upwards dramatically enough to be very noticeable. Anyone have any ideas on straightening them? They're less than 3 inches long so I don't have much leverage.

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only problems I foresee right now are on the clear parts that compose the fuse halves and the wings. The left fuse half is missing the forward section of the wing root, which will be very interesting to fill in with putty without looking awful through the windows.

The best way to do that is to laminate some plastic sheet in place and then sand it to shape. You can paint the inside portion to match the rest of the interior.

Quoted Text

Also, both wings are curved upwards dramatically enough to be very noticeable. Anyone have any ideas on straightening them? They're less than 3 inches long so I don't have much leverage.

Use some very hot water. Clamp the wing parts to a flat surface and dip them into water that's just been boiling for 20 - 30 seconds then allow them to cool. If they still retain some bend, you can try gluing them together a short bit at a time while keeping them clamped flat.

If you feel like risking it, you can try bending them against the existing bend a bit at a time. Hold the part between your thumbs and forefingers with your thumbs together and forefingers outboard of them. Push up with your thumbs and down with your forefingers. Practise on a bit of scrap plastic to see what kind of force you can get away with before breaking it. Bend a bit, move along the wing span and bend a bit more to gently force the part flat again.
sweaver
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The best way to do that is to laminate some plastic sheet in place and then sand it to shape. You can paint the inside portion to match the rest of the interior.

Thanks for the tip, Jessica. I've got plastic sheet so that should work great.

Quoted Text

Use some very hot water. Clamp the wing parts to a flat surface and dip them into water that's just been boiling for 20 - 30 seconds then allow them to cool. If they still retain some bend, you can try gluing them together a short bit at a time while keeping them clamped flat.

If you feel like risking it, you can try bending them against the existing bend a bit at a time. Hold the part between your thumbs and forefingers with your thumbs together and forefingers outboard of them. Push up with your thumbs and down with your forefingers. Practise on a bit of scrap plastic to see what kind of force you can get away with before breaking it. Bend a bit, move along the wing span and bend a bit more to gently force the part flat again.

These wings are actually single pieces on each side, so the gluing trick won't work. But I'll try the hot water. That should still work, even with thick(er) plastic, right?

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 - 07:25 AM UTC
Yes it should. You may want to soak it a bit longer if it's really thick, but beware of melting the trailing edges.
 _GOTOTOP