_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
PBY question
TAFFY3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC

Does anyone know if the rack under the wing of this PBY is for carrying a torpedo? It doesn't look like a bomb, or depth-charge rack to me. The diameter of the cut-out seems to be right for a torpedo. It's hard to see clearly, but I don't think there is a similar rack under the other wing. Al
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 12:18 PM UTC
There is a good chance that may be a torpedo mount.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675076216_PBY-Catalina_Long-Island_plane-in-flight_torpedo-dropped_men-enter-boat

dioman13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 - 04:29 PM UTC
Hey Al, your memory is better than mine, but if I recall correctly from what I read. the cats mounted one torpedo during the battle of midway on the left wing. Supposedly it was the first time they tried it. Key words are remember correctly, lol. Are you really gonna do that beast or you just teasing us? Better clear it with the boss, won't match the L.R. decor. bob
TAFFY3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 05:13 AM UTC
Thanks for that link Kevin. That sure does look like the same mount in that video. I've wanted to do a torpedo armed 'Black Cat' for a long time. Now I know what the rack looked like. The problem now is, where will I find room for a 1/48 'Cat! Al
TAFFY3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Al, your memory is better than mine, but if I recall correctly from what I read. the cats mounted one torpedo during the battle of midway on the left wing. Supposedly it was the first time they tried it. Key words are remember correctly, lol. Are you really gonna do that beast or you just teasing us? Better clear it with the boss, won't match the L.R. decor. bob

Hello Bob, don't know about torpedo armed 'Cat's at Midway, but I believe I read somewhere about 4 B-26 Marauders with a torpedo slung underneath that were there. As for building that 'Cat it's on the same "Someday List" that every modeler has. Al
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2013 - 06:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...don't know about torpedo armed 'Cat's at Midway, but I believe I read somewhere about 4 B-26 Marauders with a torpedo slung underneath that were there.

Yes, B-26s attacked with torpedoes. And yes, so did PBYs. In fact, a PBY scored the only successful US torpedo attack of the battle when it holed oiler Akebono Maru early on June 4.
TAFFY3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...don't know about torpedo armed 'Cat's at Midway, but I believe I read somewhere about 4 B-26 Marauders with a torpedo slung underneath that were there.

Yes, B-26s attacked with torpedoes. And yes, so did PBYs. In fact, a PBY scored the only successful US torpedo attack of the battle when it holed oiler Akebono Maru early on June 4.

Thanks for the info Fred. Bad enough making a daylight torpedo attack in a TBD, can't imagine doing it in a PBY. Al
tmeyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2013 - 06:24 AM UTC
I think you'll find the PBY attack was at night. Here's a link to her Tabular Record Of Movement (TROM) off of Nihon Kaigun (www.CombinedFleet.com): http://www.combinedfleet.com/AkebonoT_t.htm.

It says the attack was at 2354, or 11:54 PM.

Tom
 _GOTOTOP