_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden Fokker Dr.I Build
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2013 - 08:17 PM UTC
Hi all, thought I would post a few photos of the Roden Fokker DrI I just completed. I don't normally build WWI aircraft and decided to try my hand at building one for a change of pace. The build is OOB, though I used some parts from the spares box to improve the kit slightly. I also did some minor scratchbuilding to add to the accuracy. The kit decals disintegrated when I put them in the water and I ended up having to paint the markings, which are not 100% accurate.

It turned out ok, though the rigging was a bit of a challenge. The figure is one I have had for a while now and I thought it fit well with the kit. I know von Schleich never flew DrI's, but as I rarely build WWI aircraft, and 1/32 scale even rarer, I decided now or never.

I am interested in getting feedback from the many expert builders here, as I had fun with this little project and just might purchase and build some more in the future - once I am finished with the Western Desert diorama I am working on that is!

Enjoy the photos,
Ernest

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2013 - 02:13 AM UTC
Very decent attempt and good workmanship. Minor quibbles are the number of stripes on the top wing and the fuselage crosses need a white border. Also the Axial prop logo should have the top of the "A" pointing toward the hub center.

This is one done here May 2009. it was also MOM.

Click here.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 02:15 AM UTC
I think you did a sterling job for your first attempt. I agree with Stephen's assessment and obervations regarding the markings. Each one is a learning experience with skills learned to apply to the next build. The figure is a nice touch as well. I like the birch base and am looking forward to seeing your next project.
Thanks for sharing this.

Best

Mark
strongarden
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 730 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 - 06:04 AM UTC
I think this is beautiful, especially for the first try!
It makes me want to 'try' my Roden Dr1. I love WWI Aircraft, and I recall reading somewhere that 32nd is the perfect scale!
Bravo! It was a challenge you say, but you won!

Thank You for posting, Dave
modelcellar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Ernest,

Nice job! You did a really nice job on the Fokker. You also did a great job on our von Schleich figure! It's always nice to see our figures finished and on display. ...and like you said: ...even if he didn't fly a Fokker... The main question is: Did you have fun building and painting?! I'm guessing the answer is "yes"! Then that's all that counts. That's all you need to worry about - it's a hobby. Heck, I wish I could just FINISH a kit as well as you did.

Keep up the good work,
Paul
www.ModelCellar.com

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 09:05 PM UTC
Hi guys, thank you all very much for you comments and input, it helps me learn from my mistakes and (hopefully) become a more skilled modeller. I normally build WWII aircraft and armor, so this was a new experience for me, and was a neat learning experience.

Paul - I'm glad you liked how the figure turned out. The painting was made a lot easier by the high quality of the kit. Here's keeping my fingers crossed that future figures turn out as well.

Ernest
 _GOTOTOP