_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Typhoon VS Tempest
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 04:01 AM UTC
This has probably been discussed before. BUT could somone please clarify for me the difference between the two ??. To me, Obviously an untrained observer. They both look the same.
KiwiDave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 07:19 AM UTC
The Tempest was initially called Typhoon II but the changes, while not glaringly obvious to a casual observer really amounted to a complete redesign, hence the name Tempest was adopted.

The major changes were aerodynamic, most significantly a thinner wing. The thinner wing meant less room for fuel so the fuselage was lengthened to accomodate a tank. The wing planform is eliptical and the vertical tail surface area increased.

The later Tempest II was fitted with the Bristol Centaurus and led to the post war Fury/Sea Fury aircraft.

Regards Dave

Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 07:41 AM UTC
Dave:

Thanks, I was just reading up on that. It also mentioned that they added a 20mm Canno(s)
in the wings instead of the 303 Mg's So I guess I will have to find a model of the Tempest to build along with the Typhoon I am buying tommorow.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2003 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hi Bravo

The Typhoon 1A carried 12 .303 machine guns, but none were delivered. The 1B was armed with 4 x 20mm cannon and went on to carry rockets and bombs.

The Tempest was armed with short-barrel cannons - to fit into the new wing, plus rockets and bombs.

Eduard still do a 1/48 scale Tempest - I may well build it myself for the RMG campaign. :-)

All the best

Rowan
Posted: Friday, November 14, 2003 - 06:56 AM UTC
Merlin:

Thanks I got that too. 9About the Gunns and rockets)The funny thing is I never thought much about this A/C until after I saw the movie, A Bridge Too Far. And watched as the group
of them bombed the tree lines, And thought that was a pretty cool airplane for that sort of misson But at the time I had other projects, (Too many) ahead of me to even consider buying even one more much less a Typhoon. Until Now. SO Yeah I'm about to add one to my Squadron. I ought to paint it in Team Bravo Colors. LOL But I plan on sticking with the RAF Colors it requires.
 _GOTOTOP