Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Spitfire BTK
robbyunstoppable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC
So this is my attempt at the Airfix BTK. The basic of the basic, cheapest of the cheap! This is the first model i've ever done and everything that could go wrong did! how you guys get the results you do i'll never know!

CReading
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:47 AM UTC
hello and welcome Robert.
Please show us the end result and describe some of the problems you encountered. I'm sure that folks on site will be able to help.

Cheers,
C.
robbyunstoppable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:49 AM UTC

So there she is, all the basics done, just need the decals and away she goes!!

This is where i try and weather down the BTK, i need to know when to hold back!!

over all it was a fun project but ive got a long way to go!!!

already onto my 2nd project!

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 01:32 PM UTC
At least you didn't have the problems James May had.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 02:29 PM UTC
Robert, your Spitfire is a far, far away better than my first model airplane. Which, by the way, was an Airfix BF 109, tube glued without paint.

Very well done.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 03:09 PM UTC
Robert, glad to have you onboard! Anything you want help with just ask. I will gladly give you some help. Everything to paints, to the type of glue, to even an airbrush can be covered here.

Good choice on your second model. I always thought that the Westland Whirlwind, had the right engines been available, might of had some of the success the American P-38 had. Take care, Russell
CReading
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 03:50 PM UTC
Well, my first model airplane was far worse than what you've posted here for your attempt. I'd say that for a first shot you've done alright. Certainly you can improve on your next model but everyone no matter what level they are building at can always improve on the "next one"
You should ask about any issues that came up while you were building this kit..

Cheers,
C.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hi Robert,
For a first attempt this isn't actually bad; of course, as has been said there is room for improvement, but there are plenty of positives. The assembly looks clean, and no glue marks on the canopy, the brush painting looks very well done (we need to talk about colours though, and I notice that it was the picture in your gallery that has lead you astray?) You have learnt lessons, like don't attach the "dangly" bits until the end and don't slavishly follow the instructions (which lead you to attach the prop when closing the fuselage). The weathering is a relatively easy fix, if I'm correct that you applied it directly over the paint and didn't use a barrier coat? I'd be interested to know if the instructions show the "A" type roundel (red,white and blue) on the upper wing? but you don't seem to have a problem with decals. All in all though not bad at all, well done

Where abouts in the UK do you live?
robbyunstoppable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hi Guys, Thanks for all the kind words!

I definatly know not to put the little bits on now! i must have broken the aerial pole off 5 times!! .. D'oh! I also dropped the plane while painting it.. say goodbye to a prop blade!! you can see in one of the pics i had to scrape the paint back to plastic and re-attach! so next time those are going on last!

I also read somewhere to keep the landing gear off as well? is this a good idea?

@Holdfast: yeah i did a bit of research on the BTK and i found out that this plane doesnt exsist? or was some secret group? so all i had as reference was the cardboard picture at the top of the packet! so i just thought id google and find a nice paint job and go for it!

so this is the one i used as reference:

I thought the colour schemes was quite cool, my brown was too dark, but i thought the beige in the photo really popped!

And these were the instructions that came with the kit, so i believe the 'A type' roundel is what it asked for.. the decals were limited and had some with a yellow ring around as well that seem to only be used on the fusealage or under a black wing??

INST

but hey for £3.99 you cant really complain!!!

FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 01:33 AM UTC
.. indeed not!

as the others have said, that's a very good effort and a decent paint finish, especially if you used those acrylic pots!
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC
The kit is a reproduction of Airfix's first Spitfire kit. There is all kinds of speculation as to the identity of BT*K but I think it was probably just some 'generic' scheme cobbled together by someone with not much knowledge. BT codes were used prewar by 113 Sqn on Hind and Blenheims and during the war by 252 Sqn on Beaufighters. In both cases in the Mediterranean Theatre. 30 OTU used BT codes in the UK in the second half of the war on Wellingtons. 1686 BDTF (Bomber Defense Training Flight) also used BT from the middle of 1942 until late 1943.

As for the suggestion that it was the personnel code of C B F Kingcome; where does the T fit in. When a Wing Commander he used BK on a Mk Vb when OC 224 Wing in 1944 and a MK IX (TB539) when OC 324 Wing in 1946. BT was used by W/C CB Titchen OC 56 Sqn on Phantom FGR.2 XV420 1989.

Type A.1 roundels (red, white blue, yellow) on the upper wing surfaces were carried originally by 19 sqn but had been replaced by the familiar Type B by the they became fully operational (press day 4th May 1939).

You can find out some more about the kit and its history here.

http://www.sworld.com.au/steven/models/spitfire/
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 03:30 PM UTC
I have to say its all there. You've got good fundamentals. As far as weathering is concerned it's good to ease into that. The whole trick of it is knowing when to stop.

A huge part of this hobby is having the war chest. As you slowly accumulate a library of paint, various tweezers, blades, files, glues, etc. etc. the ability to do exactly what you want falls more into place.

I'd say if you enjoyed that, bite the bullet and buy one of those iwata starter kits for airbrushes. It's easier than brushing (imho) and yields much more rewarding models.

Now go get a bf109e to set next to the spit!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 - 06:51 PM UTC
Hi Robert,
Where abouts in the UK are you? I ask just in case we are close, I live in Cornwall, but check out the "Bulldogs" IPMS Kitmaker, the sites very own on line modelling club. Bulldogs

That picture is interesting, it looks as if it is probably a Mk IX, you can't see the radiator on the port wing but it has a 4 bladed prop (Mk I/V 3 blades and oil cooler under port wing, Mk IX 4 blades and a radiator/oil cooler under the port wing) but it doesn't have any cannon. There are other permutations but this just looks odd. Also odd is the paint scheme, beige and green? However, you found a reference and went with it which is cool, but be aware that restored aircraft are notoriously painted in the the wrong colours; apart from those in the BBMF, for instance

It's also interesting that the kit shows "A" type upper wing roundels, I don't know, off the top of my head, of a time when these were worn in this location? Also the camo p[attern is almost correct apart from the ailerons being painted green, rather than the the camo division following on. But again you have followed your references

The main thing is that you had fun and be aware that it is an absolute nightmare if you want to get every detail "just right". That can take the fun out of it so stick to what you want to do

Yes leave the landing gear off, as well as all the other "dangley" bits, they will only get broken off. The prop is designed to have the pin trapped between the fuselage halves so that the prop will spin. This is, generally a bad idea but, if you want the prop to spin, there are other ways. If you don't want the prop to spin simply glue the pin between the fuselage halves and add the spinner later.

I'm looking forward to see how you do with the Whirlwind
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 12:22 AM UTC
Robert very well done for a first go, especially as you've used those small paint pots which come with the starter kits.

The photo is almost certainly a modern rebuild but as for exact mark that's a bit more of a puzzle
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 01:04 AM UTC
There is no mystery as to the identity of the Spitfire in the photograph, it is well known. Even if you do not know what it is, the feature that stands out, is that it is fitted with an 'a' wing (no cannons). So it must be a Mk Ia, IIa or Va.

It is in fact MK Ia AR213. Four bladed props are common on restored Spitfires as three bladed props are difficult to find and expensive. In this case the four bladed prop was fitted when it was used for the film The Battle of Britain.

It is painted in the Land Temperate Scheme (I think), Dark Earth & Dark Green, with Sky under surfaces. The spinner and fuselage band are Air Ministry Sky Blue.

Similar to this scheme from the Airfix MK IIa kit.

The yellow leading edges of the wings are not correct for this scheme. I do not know the veracity of the codes. GQ was 134 Squadron that was not equipped with Spitfire Mk Is.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 02:53 AM UTC
The AR123?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hisgett/7515703800/
In the proper scheme
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 03:25 AM UTC
Those are the authentic codes it wore with 57 OTU.

http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=19550

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ILD72002
wampablo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, January 25, 2013 - 11:06 AM UTC
Its always going to be a learning curve with modeling. I remember one of my first models being a harrier painted with gloss decorating paint I stole from my dad. I thought it was the must nuts back then. Its only recently (1 year ago) I got back into the hobby after a friend of mine got me a kit for my birthday. But in this day and age of eBay picking the hobby back up has been relatively cheap think my airbrush set up including compressor cost less than £50 and with things like this forum and the guys advice it makes so much difference so don't be afraid to ask anything no matter how stupid you think the question is. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. But most of all have fun with it.
 _GOTOTOP