_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Sword 1:72 T-34C Mentor
Doppler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 58 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 06:14 PM UTC
After the ups and downs of the Hasegawa P-3C Orion, it is time to move on to my next project in the "Dad Series", the T-34C Mentor. This kit I got from Squadron and it is made by Sword hailing from the Czech Republic.

Initially, it was a dream. Little box, decent art, one page instructions, only roughly 20 parts total. "It's a cinch", I told myself. "Be done in a week."

4 working days later I am still trying to decipher the instructions and also make the two fuselage pieces mate. I swear that the two fuselage pieces aren't even from the same kit. Raised detail on the left at the seam isn't duplicated on the right at the seam. The halved vertical stabilizer on the right is larger than the left.

The instructions are several drawings with no writing (probably to cross the language boundaries). But if a picture can speak a thousand words, then these crude drawings do a pretty good Mime impression. First off, the pieces that are sketched showing their positions during their step in the creation, do not even resemble any pieces in the kit. There are no piece numbers like other kits. Just crude drawings of the pieces.

Secondly, the only writing on the instructions are for paint colors. Which are written in half English / half Czech. I can read "black" and "red", but what are "plast" or "svetle seda"?

The cockpit was fully constructed from the get-go. It fell out of the box a molded cockpit from the factory. I was in shock. Nice touch, but it was difficult to do some of the painting I normally would have done pre-glued, such as the seats and the flooring.

Okay... WORK IN PROGRESS. I am still making things fit. I will keep updates here as it goes along. I like the challenge!
Doppler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 58 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 06:04 PM UTC
Whew. Took me two tries over the weekend to get the small 1:72 fuselage (about as long as your pointing finger) together.

What I came up against was that with the cockpit installed, the opposite fuselage simply would not mate. The fuselages fit fine with no cockpit glued into place. But with the cockpit in place, as per my drawn instruction, they simply would not / could not fit.

What an odd kit. Nevertheless, I got both together after doing some creative sanding to thin the fuselage. Yes, I thinned the plastic of the inner fuselage to make the cockpit fit between the left and right halves of fuselage. I used a light grit automotive sandpaper wrapped around my finger and sanded the inner portions where the cockpit met.

Glued together once with liquid cement (the two pieces do not have the familiar "pins" to connect, just flat surfaces). This simply would not hold, even after 2 hours. So then I tried again with good ole' Super Glue. Now that held.

The plastic of the kit is not standard modelling plastic. It has no gloss to it and liquid cement has no control over it. Liquid cement just sits there and does not hold. It doesn't even "soften" the plastic.

Lucas Freeman
Brunswick, ME
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Monday, June 03, 2002 - 05:37 AM UTC
You gotta love these short-run productions...
 _GOTOTOP