_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
F-14 help
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 12:35 PM UTC
Hi guys im building a F-14 and i want to do it in VF-1 wolfpack low vis colors but i cant find many pics of it , has anybody got any photos or pics of this paint scheme ??

Thanks
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 12:41 PM UTC
Hey Dave I googled these images...

F-14 VF-1 Wolfpack

Happy Modeling,
Joe
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC
Here I found something of interest for you...

VF-1 F14A Painting

Happy Modeling,
Joe
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 12:46 PM UTC
Hi Joe . Its actually the low vis all grey colors im after .. thanks
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 01:00 PM UTC
Ahh...sorry. Let me go thru my books

Joe
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 05:53 PM UTC
Like this one?

Surprised Joe doesn't have M.A.T.S. on his referecne list. here's a link.
http://www.anft.net/f-14/
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 07:04 PM UTC
Yeah thats the one ... Is it just overall light ghost grey ?

Thanks guys .
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 07:35 PM UTC
Cybermodeler has an awesome reference section based off type and they crossreference other sites and use color call out when they can. Afterburner decals proved this for Cybermodeler. just follow the link. BTW, it's the Compass Ghost scheme. http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-14/f-14_profile06.shtml
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 - 07:47 PM UTC
There is another sheme that may have been used, but I can't get dates for it, but it's overall dark Ghost Hrey. The reason I'm cautious is with no date I can't confirm it being used by VF-1. my previous post is most likely and with Sea rotations and maintenance Light And dark Ghost ares merged It can look to be overall one color. The major reason is in '90 the Squadron's could only paint a portion of the airframe after maintenance, When the aircraft needed to be painted as a whole it had to be done at a depot facility. {usually a contractor from the manufacturer} Plus, when deployed certain colors do run out from the ships paint locker.
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 12:43 AM UTC
Thanks guys thats a big help . I have got all 3 of the compass grey colors so i will use them .. Its the Revell 1/32 kit im building iv not been posting about it but i will put up some pics when its done...

Thanks again guys
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 10:23 AM UTC
Dave, I'm jealous. though if I got my hands on a Revell Tomcat I'd probably hide it. Far supeior to the Tamiya kit in several places. I am curious to how it compares to the Trumpeter kits though.
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2013 - 11:16 AM UTC
Haha , well its not bad but it does have a few faults , the join of the nose section to the rest of the fuzz is really bad and i spent at least 5 hours filling and sanding and then more filling and sanding also there are a few sink marks in some of the moulds but apart from that its a really nice kit i got mine on ebay for about £30 thats around $60 if im not mistaken so on that its well worth it . I spent quite a bit on after market parts tho i actually bought eduards self adhesive cockpit set for the tamiya kit , it was a bit of a gamble as i didnt know if it would fit but to my surprise it only needed a bit of trimming and it went in fine and looks really nice . i also bought a set of AIM-9 sidewinders from flightpath they are still in there bag but look very nice indeed the kit AIM-9s are really poor they hadnt moulded properly and had there fins missing so they went in the bin . I got my Decals from CAM as the kit ones are a bit boring and last but not least i got some wheeliant resin wheels they are really nice and far better than the plastic kit ones ... ill post some pics soon im just at the painting stage so iv still a bit to go yet but its already looking like a nice model and i would definitely recommend you try and get hold of one i must say tho it wasnt easy for me to get mine i think there was around 8 people bidding on it and i almost lost it at the end
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 07:12 AM UTC
well i thought id put a few photos up of the cat the model is a bit further along than this now all the preshading is done and the bottom color has been airbrushed on but you get the idea . hope you like

[Photobucket]

the cockpit before i closed it up

[Photobucket]

And the preshading has been started in this one

stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 10:28 AM UTC
That is pretty. Though now matter how clean the airframe was kept don't forget the heavy grim along the wing root/glove area.
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2013 - 11:03 AM UTC
ok thanks i might use some pastels for the postshading to really get that dirty look im also planning on trying the salt weathering technique iv been doing plenty of reading up on it and it should look very nice .. if i get it right haha , have you ever done this ??
 _GOTOTOP