_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
removing flaps
dcook11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 03:54 AM UTC
I read a post somewhere about cutting flaps off and reattaching in lowered position. Anyone done this and if so, how did you reattach them? (I'm sure you would glue them, but where would you put the glueso it wouldn't be too obvious?
GhostHawk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 268 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 04:29 AM UTC
Hi,

For first read this...

http://www.cybermodeler.com/special/flaps1.shtml

I do not know if is the only tutorial available, but it work for me...

Good Luck & Good Hunt...

Diego
epshifty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 376 posts
AeroScale: 348 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hi Darrell .. this is quite easy to do depending on the model of cause but for something like a P-51 Mustang you would first carefully cut the flaps from the rest of the wings you should do this while they are still in two halfs and then glue the halfs of the flaps that you have together . You will find that there is now a gap along the back edge of the flaps and the wings where you have cut you can deal with this in two ways , either using some thin sheet styrene glued on and then trimmed or you can use modeling putty to fill the gap . if you want them to be in a lowered position you will have to sand or file the back edge you have cut to the angle you want so that when you reattach the flaps they will look lowered . As for gluing them on as long as you have a nice tidy finish to your cuts and filling you should be able to just glue them on with super glue and get a nice finish to them ... hope this helps...
 _GOTOTOP