_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Authenticity of the 3 Spitfire wing versions.
teak29
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 12:27 PM UTC
I'd prefer to use the flat wing insert on the PCM 1/32
Spitfire XIe but have only seen the bulged versions used.
If the smooth winged version is authentic, are there other
changes that are required?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 12:32 PM UTC
As far as I know the bulged covers were needed to clear the Cannons' magazines so the only way a flat cover would be used was if the cannons were not installed (perhaps for a PR version, which I don't believe was ever done with Mk. IX Spits). I would want to see photographic evidence before I do a Mk. Ix with flat covers.

But now that I've said all that, half a dozen experts will chime in to prove that I'm wrong
andrewj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd prefer to use the flat wing insert on the PCM 1/32
Spitfire XIe but have only seen the bulged versions used.
If the smooth winged version is authentic, are there other
changes that are required?

It would appear that to make a IXe from the PCM kit you need to add the flat gun covers and then add the seperately moulded cannon bulges to these covers. The bulged covers supplied appear only to be applicable to the MK IXc.

Andrew
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 09:58 PM UTC
The only "smooth" wings were those on the machine gun versions, since only the .303" or .5" Brownings could be completely enclosed in the wing (and, even then, the .5" Browning was too big for the outer pair of compartments.)
The Hispano cannon needed a bulged cover to the bay, to clear the feed mechanism; modern rebuilds, since they carry no cannon, can have no bulges, but owners tend to go for realism, these days, and have them fitted.
P.R. versions, with no guns fitted, were the only in-service types to have no bulges. There were F.R.IX Spitfires, but, since they were intended for low level, and might need to fight their way out, they were always armed.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 04:28 PM UTC
I hate to the one to stifle the debate. But he asked about XI not IX. You guys must always rent the wrong rocky movies...

I believe the XI's were all PR. Also reasonably sure it was primarily an unarmed mark? Experts to clarify surely.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hate to the one to stifle the debate. But he asked about XI not IX. You guys must always rent the wrong rocky movies...

I believe the XI's were all PR. Also reasonably sure it was primarily an unarmed mark? Experts to clarify surely.

Since PCM don't make a Spitfire XI, we all assumed, without making smart-Alec Comments, that, since he'd used the "e" suffix (which P.R. versions never had) the enquirer had made a typing mistake (easily done, as I know from experience,) and really meant the Mk.IX (which PCM do make,) and took his enquiry from there.
 _GOTOTOP