_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Mig 19
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 04:26 PM UTC
I've drawn "Supersonic Soviet" in the lottery campaign and I'm sad. The only bird that really sings to me is the Mig 19, I love early jets and this is the first operational supersonic fighter for crying out loud! It's up my alley in that respect.

What's not up my alley is bare metal. Does anyone know if the Mig 19, I don't think I can jet away with the Shenyang, was ever not BMF'ed? Surely they painted the thing at some point. I really want to get that Trumpeter kit but I don't want to ruin it with botched alclad.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 - 05:54 PM UTC
Most Russian aircraft were left outside and maintained by conscripts. They very quickly oxydised and got really messy, so you don't need to do a showroom finish on your MiG. There are a couple of different ways to get a nice grungy oxydised finish.

Rub'n Buff: Polish the bare plastic until it's nice and glossy and free of scratches, then buff on the Rub'n Buff. Let it dry a short time, then scrub in a tiny drop of black on each panel, brush it around in circles with an old brush, then polish the panel. You can also try blue, grey and white for the different effects. Mask with post-it notes to get sharp edges. You can also try different colours of primer paint, but make sure it's acrylic; Rub;n Buff eats enamel paint.

Another way is to use plain Testors spray bomb silver, which gives an almost greyish finish. Let it dry for 10 or 15 minutes, then lightly buff it with a little SNJ powder to make it shine just a little. You can use graphite to darken some panels.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 03:29 AM UTC
would this help

http://www.airpowerworld.info/jet-fighter-planes/mikoyan-gurevich-mig-19.htm
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 09:24 AM UTC
This rub'n'buff intrigues me...

Drabslab, that is what I had in mind actually. But I wasn't clear enough in my original post, I was hoping to find a Soviet example in paint. I have to say if I do build a non-soviet Mig 19 I will probably be building a Cuban one.
Something about the colour palette the Cubans use really sings to me. Plus that fin flash is pretty cool. Always wanted to do a Cuban fighter...
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 11:12 AM UTC
Here's a beautiful example of what years out in the weather will do to an airplane. This is a TCA Viscount in the National Aeronautical Museum collection in Ottawa.
Shortly after it was put on display in 1970:

15 years later:

And 35 years later:

That's a bit extreme, but you can definitely see what weather does to polished metal.
SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 11:20 AM UTC
How about a Pakistani 19?

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 12:29 PM UTC
Very few bare metal planes where really bare metal. Most had some sort of protective coating applied even if it was just an anti-corrosion wash. Just paint it plain old silver mate and it will look fine.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 01:17 PM UTC
I agree with Warren, frankly aluminum would be my choice to paint the aircraft a natural metal finish. Something like Model Master Acryl aluminum would do just fine I think. Russell
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 09:09 PM UTC
Great examples Jessie!

But I like those old skool Mig camo's as well, especially the exotic ones from non warsaw-pact countries.

On Wingspalette you probably can find some inspiration.

Jelger
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is Bangladeshi, I think rather than Pakistani, judging from the roundel.

gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 01:42 AM UTC
At wingspalette there are indeed a lot of camouflaged MiG-19s (F6s) some from very exotic places (Tanzania, Somalia...)

SmashedGlass
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 105 posts
AeroScale: 62 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC
You are correct sir! Didn't even notice the extra red in the roundels, grabbed it on a quick search for 'Pakistani Mig-19'. Same color scheme, just a few additions to differentiate from the Pakistani birds (I assume Bangladesh acquired from PK).
Here's a PAF 19 for you all:
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 03:23 AM UTC
Nonetheless this gray-gray scheme looks cool.

spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 07:09 AM UTC
It seems that MAV decals will publish a decal sheet for a Tanzanian Mig19 (Shenyang F6), at least according to the website of the Aviation Megastore in the Netherlands.

They also sell decals for the grey 2-tone Bangladesh Mig 19. This sheet also includes decals for a very nice Pakistani Mig19 with sharkteeth. The decal sheet is published by Print scale.

Gekko Graphics makes decals for four very colorful Mig19s as well.

Well, enough options available I guess

Looking forward to your build!

Jelger
frogman_13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 08:57 AM UTC
Heres an Egyptian F-6 which is the chinese version of the MiG-19 only has a para-pack faired into the root of the vertical tail

Maybe this will help you get inspired.
Ed Okun/ Frogman
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 02:21 PM UTC
Well you've all chipped in with great input and I've gone and made it all academic. I was seeking solace at the LHS and happened upon the Trumpeter Mig 21F.

It called to me, I don't see many builds of the earlier 21's. I think I'll be doing it BMF in Soviet Stars. I can't start till June so plenty of time to hunt for decals and the like.
chrism
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 160 posts
AeroScale: 156 posts
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 04:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This MiG in not Pakistani, it has Bangladesh markings. Pakistan has green and white roundels.
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 - 10:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well you've all chipped in with great input and I've gone and made it all academic. I was seeking solace at the LHS and happened upon the Trumpeter Mig 21F.

It called to me, I don't see many builds of the earlier 21's. I think I'll be doing it BMF in Soviet Stars. I can't start till June so plenty of time to hunt for decals and the like.

That is a surprising twist in this topic (no offense). Looking forward to your build!

Jelger
 _GOTOTOP