_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Zvezda Pe-8 completed
Planenuts
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 03:39 PM UTC
I recently completed this, my first 1/72 kit in recent times and found it to be a most enjoyable build, certainly well above many of the 1/72 kits available 30 years ago. The kit came with what I thought were really nice figures for a 1/72 kit so I decided to paint them and use them. Quite a variety in their sizes, the smallest are for the under wing nacelle stations and the medium sized fit the other turrets with the largest being the pilot and copilot.

Upper turret assembly

Front turret

Forward fuselage interior

Finished model

I did only some exhaust staining and some grime on the undercarriage. I find that highlighting the panel lines in this scale makes them look too over done however I do wish now that I had done an overall fading wash to tone things down.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Gary

warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 05:25 PM UTC
Very nice build mate. I have one in the stash. I agree 100% about the panel lines , yet I think they look overdone in any scale/ I worked on aircraft for a long time and it is hard to see most panel lines from just a few feet away, let alone scale distances of many many feet. Ailerons, elevators and rudders, yes, but not panel lines. But each to their own I suppose.
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 12:07 AM UTC
Very nice build of an impressive plane. Nice to have put a crew onboard, this gives a great sense of scale.

To reduce the cleanness of the model, maybe an extra little dirt (stripes) can be applied on the hinges of such things as ailerons, flaps and elevators (and other raised flow disturbing parts).

Jelger
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 - 01:02 PM UTC
Great looking airplane Gary, I really like your build! Thanks for sharing

Jim
 _GOTOTOP