_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Help needed...
spacewolfdad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hi,

I am asking for some help as I don't know if the item I am looking for exists. I am a Civilian Instructor with my local Air Cadet Squadron, I teach modelling, we are currently involved with a project that involves WWII Corsairs in the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm. We intend to make a section of carrier deck with a lift just rising to deck level with a Corsair on with its wings still folded. We will be using the 1/72 Academy F4U-1 model. Does anyone know of an after-market set of folded wings that we can use. The skill level of the Cadets is not that high yet and it would be easier to use AM than convert. Thanking you in anticipation of your replies.

All the best,

Paul
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 04:33 AM UTC
Hi Paul, I'm not aware of any AM sets for the Corsair in 1/72 to enable you to build it with the wings folded, most tend to be in 1/48 but I'm sure someone may know of one.

Just a bit of info, the Academy F4U-1 is actually a F4U-1a and as such would represent a FAA Mk.I or if the wings are clipped then a Mk.II or Brewster built Mk.III.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 05:41 AM UTC
The old Heller corsair has folded wings right out of the box. Perhaps you could find one and teach kitbashing along the way...
spacewolfdad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 06:18 AM UTC
@ Littorio

Quoted Text

Hi Paul, I'm not aware of any AM sets for the Corsair in 1/72 to enable you to build it with the wings folded, most tend to be in 1/48 but I'm sure someone may know of one.

Just a bit of info, the Academy F4U-1 is actually a F4U-1a and as such would represent a FAA Mk.I or if the wings are clipped then a Mk.II or Brewster built Mk.III.

Hi Luciano

Normally I am a Braille Scale tank modeller, but I got 'volunteered' for this post. I AM enjoying it (I used to build aircraft as a lad) and most of my skills are transferable, but I am still feeling my way around the wonderful world of aircraft and have got the Aircraft of the Aces book with some nice Corsair profiles, just got to choose the aircraft carrier and who was actually on it! We will be getting some AM decals and bits and bobs so it will be fun for the lads. Thanks for the tips, I will post the photos of the finished diorama if people are interested. Hopefully some of these lads will become the modellers of the future.

All the best,

Paul
spacewolfdad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 06:23 AM UTC
@ Jessie_C

Quoted Text

The old Heller corsair has folded wings right out of the box. Perhaps you could find one and teach kitbashing along the way...

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for that, I will investigate that, if I can't get it from a hobby store then there is always Ebay.

All the best,

Paul

spacewolfdad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 06:35 AM UTC
@ Jessie_C

Hi Jessica,

I have just found the SMER version on Ebay and it has folding wings as well, looks a decent kit.

Looks like my quest is now over, many thanks.

All the best,

Paul
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 07:17 AM UTC
That one's the Heller plastic inside the Smer box. Be prepared for it not to be State of the Art. The engine cylinders are amusing
spacewolfdad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 11:12 AM UTC
Hi Jessica,

No problem, good opportunity to introduce the Cadets to cross kitting.

All the best,

Paul
 _GOTOTOP