Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Airfix Vampire T.11 + 1
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Magnus,

I'm doing a chilean one.....desert scheme from an Aztec decal sheet. If you want I have more exotic schemes one this decal sheet that I can share with you.

The model is painted and I'm about to finish the cockpit (I decided to glue some cockpit parts after the paint job to avoit to break them). Have to place decals and do the wash job. Landing gear parts still need to be painted.

Cheers Pierre.

Are going you going to share your Vampire with us? Exotic schemes always have my interest

Jelger
pbaudru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
KitMaker: 31 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hi,

I can't share any picture for the moment. This is a build for a magazine, I'm sorry.

After the publication I will be able to share with you guys !

Cheers Pierre.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 05:26 AM UTC
Pierre! I am looking forward to see your Chilean Vampire!

As has been the case lately, the secondary build is progressing faster than the primary one. Or as an evil friend of mine said "secondary target destroyed first" !

I am urging the single-seater forward quickly since the two-seater will have to wait for the decals anyway. This one I hope to have finished in time for this event, which will take place in about ten days.

This became a real putty monster...

...with quite remarkable amounts needed on the lower surfaces...

After a coat of primer...

...I will do some further sanding before going over it with Tamiya rattlecan silver. Decalling will be done during easter holiday in the south of Sweden!

Magnus
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 07:34 AM UTC
A lot of sanding, but worth the effort. Those gun openings look mean .

Do you know what is inside the bulbs in the tail?

Are you going to use a single silver color for the finish or will you apply some different shades for selected panels?

Jelger
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 07:52 AM UTC
4x20 mm: Always mean !

Bulbs: I am almost sure that they're there for aerodynamic reasons, a not uncommon practice at that time. Same kind of bulb on the tailplane of the Meteor for instance!

Finish: I'll use a rattle can for the main finish and will try to breathe a bit of life in it at the weathering stage! Looking at photos they look rather uniform in colour since there was no bare metal on them, they were painted silver all over!

Magnus
pbaudru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 08:18 PM UTC
That's nice to see your Vampire almost painted....it looks very nice in deed !

On my T11 I have just placed the instrument panel into the cockpit.

Cheers Pierre.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 08:04 AM UTC
I've spent Easter doing the last bit of sanding and then sprayed it Tamiya TS-30. Now I'm halfway through the decals as well.

Magnus
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 279 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 06:55 PM UTC
Hi Magnus,

great! I like those two little Vampires!
The Tamiya paint you have used, is this from a rattle can? The finish looks nice!

Regards,

Sebastian
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 09:23 PM UTC
Sebastian! Yes, straight out of a rattle can. I use a small trick though: I dunk the can in hot tap water (not from the kettle, that is too hot, don't ask me how I know that ) for a few minutes before spraying. This raises the pressure in the can and also makes the paint "lie down" well on the model. Try on something useless first though!

Magnus
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hi Magnus,

thanks a lot!

Regards,

Sebastian
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 06:38 PM UTC
Shines the shiny demon...well Vampire!

That silver coats looks very nice Magnus and the decals looks great on them. You added a protective coat before applying decals or was the silver coat gloss enough?

How are these decals by the way?

Jelger
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 06:43 PM UTC
Jelger!

Finish is very smooth directly from the can so no need for a gloss coat. Very practical !

Decals are printed by Cartograf and consequently as good as they ever get ! A joy to work with!

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 - 08:24 AM UTC
I might still make it until Saturday !

Brownish red wingtips and stabilizer tips have been painted tonight...

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 - 09:03 AM UTC
Not one of my best, this kit demanded a lot more work and passion than I was prepared to put into it! I'm glad it is finished and I like the paint scheme, I wonder though why the Norwegian national insignia flies backwards!

I've still got at least one more of these kits left in the stash, I wonder if I have to build that one before Airfix releases a state-of-the-art single-seater or if I just can sit back and wait. Maybe if I sacrifice it to the plastic gods?

Added (with a sigh of relief) to the collection!

Magnus
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 - 09:59 AM UTC
That's a pretty little model, Magnus. It needs to have Maple leaves though
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a pretty little model, Magnus. It needs to have Maple leaves though

Instead of sacrificing the last Vampire in my stash to the Gods (presumably by burning it, to get the desired acrid smoke...), maybe maple leaves would be a more positive way of getting rid of the little b#####d? Where do I find suitable such? I've never built anything in Canadian markings even if I will need to do a CF-104 for an as yet undisclosed project. One day. In the future...

Magnus
Middle_Franconian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 12:23 AM UTC
Hi Magnus,

your Vampire is looking great! The finish is superb! How did you highlight the panellines? I like this subtle style!

Regards,

Sebastian
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 01:22 AM UTC
RCAF decals for the Vampire may be had from CanMilAir, while the Starfighter can come from Canuck Models.

Other Canadian decals may be found at Belcher Bits and Leading Edge.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 07:43 AM UTC
Sebastian! Thanks! Panel line accentuation is a combination of an oil colour wash and pastels, mostly pastels I think since the combination of thin home-scribed panel lines and a smooth glossy finish didn't hold very much of the wash! Pastels were applied using a 000 brush, pretty useless for painting since it holds very little paint but perfect for precision-applying pastels!

Jessica! The story behind the RCAF Vampires explains why I haven't ever heard of them ! I think I'll put the maple leafs on something a bit more typical Canadian instead but thanks for the suggestion !

Magnus
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 08:02 AM UTC
The FB-5s were flown only for a short while but it would mean that you wouldn't have to convert your kit. Strangely Bill hasn't done any sheets for the F-3, which was the RCAF's first jet fighter. They flew for years in the reserve squadrons, and had some striking paint schemes
Most of them were a little more generic. Here's a nice little capsule history of RCAF Vampire operations.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC
Great job Magnus, a worthy addition to your "Air Force de Fridsell"

I just took a trip down memory lane and looked through your collection thread, there are some great builds and very unusual schemes on display there, and a really good way to summarise your recent build history.

Cheers, D
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 09:33 AM UTC
Magnus,

Great finish on the model!

I like the subtle weathering and emphasis on the panel lines. The overall result is worth the effort.

Jelger
pbaudru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi Magnus,

I think your Vampire is very very mice, congratulations !

My vampire (T11) is waiting for the eduard masks, that will be released on may I think....

Cheers Pierre.
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 12:02 AM UTC
Sorry for being impolite but I've suffered through the usual "IPMS Open Hangover" since last weekend. Judging a few classes and spending lots of time with friends and looking at loads of fantastic models.

Jessica! I'm sorry for my ignorance, of course Canada flew the Vampire ! There is even a section on that subject in one of my references. When you wrote about them I just made a quick check at the Wikipedia listing of RCAF aircraft and it isn't included in the former aircraft list...

Damian! Thanks! It even got a silver medal in it's class, not too bad... Maybe the judges need glasses ? Thanks for checking my collection as well!

Jelger! Thanks!

Pierre! Don't wait too long, I might beat you to the finish line ! I'm waiting for a letter from Xtradecal...

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Saturday, April 27, 2013 - 08:26 AM UTC
It has been rather quiet here lately, I'm sorry!

Two-seater has been put on hold temporarily. I knew that I would have to wait for the decals but I discovered something a lot worse last week: what I thought was a mould line in the windscreen that I would have been able to polish away turned out to be a crack... I've written Airfix and they have promised to send me a new one but they are out of both kits and parts for the time being...

Green/grey drop tanks painted and clear parts masked...

Magnus