_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Need help obtaining 1:48 Merc. D.IIIa engine
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 09:23 PM UTC
Hi,

So I'm building 1/48 Fly models "Roland D VIa" and discover that the resin engine provided with the model is Benz Bz.III (thus for the VIb) instead of the Mercedes D.III engine - I thought it was a little off... Model is also too far along to make it a VIb

I sorta don't want to lose momentum while I wait for customer support. In the meantime ( I could certainly use spare engine in a dio later), I'd like to find US based source of (either one would do):

- Mercedes D.III in 1/48 aftermarket part? Can be fancy.
- Name of a 1/48 kit that has Mercedes D.III as a spares parts (preferably still produced)
- If you have parts for complete 1/48 Mercedes D.III and want to trade

I guess, I could also buy a Weekend Edition Albatros
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 08:08 AM UTC
Here is a thread you may find interesting.

Click here.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 12:00 PM UTC
That is fantastic list on info!

Thanks
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 05:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That is fantastic list on info!

Thanks

No worries. The following images came from here.

Here is a relative comparison of the kit motor with other manufacturer's versions.

While the first 20 or so Roland D.VIa did employ the Merc. D.IIIa it was the 170hp variant, the rest used the 180hp.

see the review.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 05:11 PM UTC
So I think I've formulated a plan!

I'm certainly getting the Vector D.IIIa ordered, though it won't be going into the Roland - it seems a waste of such fine detail, as it will be buttoned up by the hull with only top of the cylinders showing...

So I'll be also getting a Carl Degelow's Fokker D.VII by Roden to donate its Merc D.III to Roland, in turn becoming the recipient of the Vector's Merc...

I'm envisioning the D.VII getting built with engine completely exposed and paneling removed. This should make it worth it all!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 05:16 PM UTC
You'd have to expose it in any case. Vector engines are made to true scale, leaving no allowance for the thickness of the plastic fuselage sides. Unless you're putting it into a vac, it'll have a great deal of difficulty fitting inside.

And besides, it's too beautiful to hide away : )
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You'd have to expose it in any case. Vector engines are made to true scale, leaving no allowance for the thickness of the plastic fuselage sides. Unless you're putting it into a vac, it'll have a great deal of difficulty fitting inside.

And besides, it's too beautiful to hide away : )

Yes - engine costs more than the plane, it's better to be exposed

Well, order placed and I look towards lots of dry fitting - nothing can go wrong now (as famous last words go).
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 07:27 AM UTC
In the interest of fairness - I did get an e-mail back from Fly Models (about 2 days) and they are mailing me correct engine for no cost to me. Which is great and goes to show their commitment to customer support.

Which is great, since they are sole 1/48 producers of certain subjects that I'm planning to tackle in the near future.
 _GOTOTOP