_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Critique my Hellcat, complete AC novice
drdoom1337
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 30 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 10:58 AM UTC
I'm a ship and Gundam modeler. This is only the second plane I've ever built. Being a ship modeler I like planes that are carrier bourne, and I picked up this 1/72 Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat. It's not completely finished yet, and I need to take some better photos.

Here's one of the paint scheme I used. First I primed everything gloss black, then in certain areas I put a bit of Mr Metal Color and Testors Interior Green for paint chipping. I thin did a quick glosscote. For the successive coats I used Mr Color white, Mr Color intermediate blue, and Model Masters Insignia blue (looked dark enough to me). Everything was done freehand.

and one with the decals applied with Mr Mark Setter & Mr Mark Softer.

I still have to paint the prop and add the wheels.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 12:18 PM UTC
It's looking good so far. I like the patchy fading of the paint shceme. Now your challenge is to fade those freshly painted on decals to match the grunginess of the rest of it
Now you discover why I like to do factory-fresh models...
J8kob_F
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
AeroScale: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 - 12:34 PM UTC
It may be a little late for this project but it's well worth a look. The guy is an absolutle god when it comes to fading navy aircraft. I found the method a little tricky but it's well worth the effort.

Here's the article:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1/101-200/tnt177-tnt-weathering-Rapasi/00.shtm

And here's one of his builds:
http://www.arcair.com/Gal10/9601-9700/gal9657-PBY-Rapasi/00.shtm

Also, nice build i have been thinking og building a Hellcat for a while

Keep up the good work

Jakob
drdoom1337
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 04:06 AM UTC
Thanks everyone. I have some ideas as to how to fade the decals, and along with what's written I think I'll be okay. I was planning on dot filtering over them with oils that somewhat match the blues I used. I have a few more planes to try out effects on.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 10:28 AM UTC
I like it, the weathering of the decals will be the trick!! Welcome to Aeroscale. Russell
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hi Jon,

It appears that you are an experienced modeler. Good first wingy-thingy! Dot filtering should work well.

Everyone have already given you good ideas. I think that after the dots, consider glazing the entire upper surface with a diluted gray-blue (not the blue camo color, unless you mix a light gray into it) to unify all of the dotting and your present fading. That will help with the decals, too.

The ship - Arizona?
drdoom1337
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 01, 2013 - 05:41 PM UTC
I'm 24, I've been building kits since I'm 17. Mostly ships, and Gundams so I don't have an opportunity to do stuff like this often. The ship is the WWI Imperial German dreadnought Kronprinz Wilhelm. I wanted to have it done for Mosquitocon in NJ in April, but I doubt it.

Need to get out to Michaels or AC Moore and get some blue oil paints for my weathering experiment on this one. Hopefully some time today!

Jon
 _GOTOTOP