_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell Replacement Wheels
golfermd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 152 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 10:13 AM UTC
I purchased the Revell 1:48 P-47N Thunderbolt and am generally pleased with it. However, I don't like the tires. They are flat to show the weighted effect on the ground. I don't want this, I would like round wheels. I've Googled this with no suitable results. Does anyone know of a source, or have subsitution recommendations?

Thanks, Dan
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 10:24 AM UTC
Ultracast has resin P-47N wheels with diamond tread, block tread or radial tread which are not nearly as unrealistically squished as the kit wheels. Since they're resin, they're also much easier to sand to a less bulged shape if that's what you prefer.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi Dan,
I think the only way to get the wheels your after is to post a request in the Trades forum. Ask for set of round wheels from any Thunderbolt kit.
Earlier kits generally have round wheels, but us modellers being the sticklers for accuracy that we are noticed that in real life the wheels flatten out and bulge due to the weight. That's where the resin guys have stepped in to provide accurate replacements. Thats why you won't find round wheels by any of those. So you might be in luck if someone has still has an original set, from say the Tamiya kit, that were replaced.
Its really only in recent years that the kit manufacturers have started to take note of this and get the wheels right.
Best of luck.
Ste
golfermd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 11:03 AM UTC
Thanks. Jessie, I ordered the set, and bookmarked the site.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, March 04, 2013 - 11:34 AM UTC
Beware, your bank account will not thank you
golfermd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 - 05:04 AM UTC
Already do wooden model ships (sticks and strings types). So this is news to me because?
 _GOTOTOP