_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
U.S. Navy Flight Deck & Hangar Deck Tractors
ShadowRaider
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 06:36 AM UTC
Here is my model of the U.S. Navy's A/S32A-31A flight deck tractor.

A/S32A-31A is a current flight deck tractor for all active U.S. Navy aircraft carriers and amphibious ships. On carriers the vehicle is typically equipped with a gas turbine unit to start jet aircraft engines. When compared to the older MD-3 tractor in service since the 1960's through the 1990's, the A/S32A-31A has a different rear end and a new starter unit. The vehicles have served or are in service on Kitty Hawk, Enterprise and Nimitz class carriers as well as Whidbey Island, Harpers Ferry, Austin, Tarawa, Wasp and San Antonio class amphibious ships.

The kit is produced by F4Models (cat. # 7002). I scratch-built some braces and levers from thin wire; the folded air hose comes with the kit and is molded in resin. Painting and weathering is done with Vallejo acrylics, MiG neutral wash; the final coating is Vallejo varnish.

Then there are some pictures of my model of the A/S32A-32A hangar deck tractor.

The A/S32A-32A is a purpose-built vehicle the U. S. Navy uses to tow, turn and position aircraft on hangar decks and elevators of its aircraft carriers and large-deck amphibious ships. It is in service today on all U.S. carriers and large-deck amphibious ships (Tarawa and Wasp class).

This kit also comes from F4Models (cat. # 7004). It's mostly an out-of-the-box build. There are quite a lot of parts on the small photo etched fret, including very fine mesh screens; some require rather delicate bending. I have added metal wire pieces to model various hydraulic lines and the axle that moves the towing arms. Painting and weathering is again straightforward.

Now both tractors await dioramas to be placed on.
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 09:02 AM UTC
Hi Alex,

Thanks for sharing. These tractors look really nice and are a nice extra for a base. And probably fun to build as well.

I will check the brand to see whether they have something to combine with a F-4B Phantom. I like such stuff.

Thanks for sharing!

Jelger
ShadowRaider
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 - 06:40 PM UTC
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

>> whether they have something to combine with a F-4B Phantom

Actually, if you're looking for a flight deck tractor to put alongside an F-4B, you should consider getting the Fujimi's "Flight Deck Crew & Carrier Tractor" set (cat. # 35001). It contains just the right tractor for the period, the MD-3.

As for products by F4Models, they do an earlier tractor, the MD-1. That one served from mid 50's to mid 60's and would fit well with such aircraft as Demon, Skyray, Cougar, Tiger, early Skyhawk or Skywarrior.

_GOTOTOP