_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Adventures in Scale Modeling
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 11:46 AM UTC
Does anyone other than me remember that old PBS program?

This is meant to be a place where one can vent (gently) all the frustrations, trials and tribulations connected with the modeling world.

For instance, I am currently building for 2 campaigns, EOD2 on Armorama and Devils in the Dark on Aeroscale. I have gotten to a place with my “Apocalypse Truck” that I could put it aside for a few days while waiting for some more pieces to arrive from my HIS.
You can see my build progress on Armorama, so I’m not going to post any pictures here.

So I decided to work on my Mosquito NF Mk XII. This is the re-release of the Monogram Mk VI Fighter/Bomber. I also have the Paragon A.I. VIII radome and True Details wheel set.

When I got to the part about modifying the nose for the resin radome, I seemed to forget that I needed to modify the fighter, not the bomber version. So, naturally, I cut half the nose off so the resin piece would fit. Glued the fuselage up and superglued that sucker on tight and puttied and sanded it down. Then, I realized that I forgot something...yup, guns…the bomber has no guns. So, snap off the resin nose, split the fuselage open, remove the cockpit assembly (loose the control column in the carpet monster), then cut the rest of the bomber nose off. Now using my trusty Dremel, I cut the .303 guns off the fighter nose, and wonder of wonders, the bloody resin piece fits…almost perfectly anyway. Puttied and sanded I set the new nose aside to dry.
While waiting for that to dry, I thought I’d start on the wings. Okay, cut out the gear doors, since they are molded closed, then put in the landing lights, last are the gear themselves and the wheels. Now, remember, the tractor for the Apocalypse Truck is done sitting on the left hand side of my work desk.
A long time ago I bought True Details Mosquito Wheels just for this project (which has been in the back of mind for 10 years now). So I get out the wheels and my razor saw and have at it. The first wheel comes off fine, second wheel, while I am sawing away at the wheel (and the work bench is moving a bit) to my left there is a horrible CRASH! One of the cans of Krylon has fallen off the top shelf and landed square on the truck! The cab goes one way, the guns go another way and a wheel goes flying to wherever! Ack! It took me 20 minutes to find all the parts…but I got them all.
The heck with it, like Scarlett O’Hara, “I’ll think about it tomorrow.” Go to finish the second wheel, well it’s pretty well cut thru, I’ll just snap it off. So, of course, when it comes loose, a large piece of it stays on the block, use an exacto knife to cut it off and the carpet monster has another victim. Well so much for the resin wheels I’ve horded for 10 years, I’ll just have to use the kit wheels. I walked away for the night.

Nope, after I could breathe again, I figured I’d work on “crouching guy” for the EOD2 diorama, can’t do too much damage there. I need to have this guy holding a long pole. The metal rod I am using was a bit too thick for his hand, so I grabbed my Xacto knife to open his grip a bit. I found the arm under my desk after about 15 minutes on my hands and knees. I went to bed.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 11:56 AM UTC
I recommend moving this thread into "General Aircraft" or even "Modeling in General" rather than here in the campaigns.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 03:00 PM UTC
Jessie, I would if I could, but I don't know how, so if you be so kind...
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 03:42 PM UTC
I'm not a mod for this forum so I can't. The easiest way to accomplish it is to just open up the same thread in the other forum and then come back here and delete your post. That should make it go away.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 09:07 PM UTC
Moved as suggested.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 11:31 PM UTC
thanks Allen
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 01:36 AM UTC
Bruce. I liked to read your story at this threads beginning, because I do admire your courage and willpower to persevere. Usually, when bad things happen in my modelling, I have a tendency to become very negative toward the project. Inevitably, they become boxed-up hanger queens.

Its refreshing to hear from someone who takes these small problems in stride, and has the dicipline to continue on.

Well done.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 - 01:07 PM UTC
Ben, thanks and feel free to contribute!
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2013 - 08:36 AM UTC
okay, so the Mosquito is done and posted in the Devils in the Dark gallery...yahoo! got one done.
Now i am taking up on the DC-3 that a I put aside for the Mossie, got the gloss white sprayed, masked, sprayed the aluminium, masked, sprayed the sky grey, unmasked everything... The aluminum picked up a pattern off the masking tape...not sticky, so it's not the adhesive and how the heck did I get that big thumb print on the wing in the grey
ohboy...I love modeling, I love modeling
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 12:33 AM UTC
can't polish or rub out the pattern on the aluminium paint, so all I can say is that god for Bare Metal Foil
Later
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 09:57 AM UTC
Working on my wife's 56 T-Bird. We went to Wally-world today and I need gloss white for the Skyraider and she needs gloss white for the hard top on her car. So I went to the paint dept and picked up a can of primer + gloss white. Went to paint her top and found out the can is miss marked. Not primer and paint, it's crackle finish white!
Well, at least I didn't do the Skyraider at the same time

Now, where the heck is the brake fluid?
Later
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 05:15 PM UTC
It's only a hobby, modeling is fun. It's Only a Hobby, Modeling is Fun. IT'S. ONLY. A. HOBBY, MODELING. IS FUN.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 09:42 AM UTC
LMAO that's what I keep telling myself!

Anyway, as I said, this blog is for everyone to come vent when needed, besides your mistakes can be someone else's lesson

Later
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 11:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

besides your mistakes can be someone else's lesson

We all have to learn from other peoples' mistakes because we don't have time enough to make them all ourselves.
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 01:06 PM UTC
Bruce. Please don't take up paragliding, car racing or any really high-risk hobbies... I have only to look at my latest modelling efforts to know that Bungy-Jumping is something I should avoid!

Cheers

Karl
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 04:33 PM UTC
Isn't the 4th rule of aviation; "Learn from the mistakes of others, life is too short to make them all yourself"?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 05:39 PM UTC
There are many ways of saying that and I'm certain that it's a rule of aviation. I also like:

Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 03:30 AM UTC
Bruce, you're a better man than I. Congrats on finishing the Mosquito. Tough luck on the can of spray paint falling on your truck. And good luck with your wife's car.
Joel
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 02:59 PM UTC
@Jessie, I've heard that one before, thank you for reminding me

@Joel, nothing beter about it, just to dense to know when to quit
Later
ps I got a box of models together today to take to the Vero Beach Air Show in 2 weeks when I got too close to the truck and broke one of the machine guns off it Honestly, I think my depth perception is going
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 09:05 AM UTC
over in Aeroscale I'm working on an F4J Phantom in Blue Angels markings. Took the plane out side today to lay down the colour coat. As I'm spraying the front of the fuselage I hear this "plop" I stopped spraying immediately and looked the model over. Just where I was going to spray on the wing is a big drop of....water?
Nope...it's got something in it
Yup...bird poo
wiped it off, made sure everything was clean and finished up.
No harm, no foul, but REALLY!? Who else gets dive bombed by a bird in the middle of a painting session

Later
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 - 01:26 PM UTC
Here is what you need to do Bruce . Place a feather on the ground facing north during sun set . Jump up and down on your right leg while spinning counter clock wise and your left hand touching your nose . say these words three times ... shama lego platic and this should take care for all your modeling troubles .

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - 02:00 AM UTC
Bruce,
Just read through your post for a 2nd time. Like I said, you're a braver man then I. Of course I claim old age, bad eyesight (legally blind in the left eye), shaky hands, and Dementia (must be with my forgetfulness), so no matter what calamity strikes, I have a already built in excuse. Yet I still suffer from major frustrations at many of my modeling attempts.

Funny thing, but while I conjure up my modeling ideas, they all look professional and nearly perfect in my minds vision. Too bad they never seem to turn out that way.

And Yes, I do remember that horrid PBS TV show. The best thing that ever happened to it was when it was cancelled. The host started off barely knowing how to cut the plastic shrink wrap off the box, had no idea of how to do anything, and was also the curator of the mystical and fictitious model museum. All builds were guided by a skilled modeler. At least that was a good idea. I still remember the Nascar Kodak car he built & decaled, but never painted!

There is a Japanese modeling show that use to be on the net, and you can still find a few episodes of a build, but not the full build on You tube. Even though I don't speak a word of Japanese. The vids are outstanding, and that level of model building was what the show should have been about, not a show meant for kids. Ok, so I finally got to vent after all these years. Old people are allowed to vent, it's good for us.

Joel
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 - 02:10 PM UTC
@Terri, LMAO Thanks for the tip. I tried it, but kept falling over on my second spin. I think it was the jumping at the same time that kept throwing me off. Odd how the word "lego" crept in there since I just got back from taking the youngest grandkinder to Legoland. But I'll try again

@Joel, my local PBS never carried all the episodes. I think they screened them and passed on the worst ones
Oh well
Later
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 - 04:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@Terri, LMAO Thanks for the tip. I tried it, but kept falling over on my second spin. I think it was the jumping at the same time that kept throwing me off. Odd how the word "lego" crept in there since I just got back from taking the youngest grandkinder to Legoland. But I'll try again

@Joel, my local PBS never carried all the episodes. I think they screened them and passed on the worst ones
Oh well
Later

Bruce,
In that case, I guess you never got to see any of them. Believe me, I still have nightmares about how bad that show was.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP