_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
How to weather a Skyhawk?
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 - 10:48 PM UTC
Hello all,

I have bought and I am building the new Airfix A4B Skyhawk. If I had to characterize this little kit with one word, I would simply say it is cool. It does not fall automatically together but the amount of effort with it is just right not to discourage me.

I am approaching the finishing phase. I should like to add some weathering, to represent an used but well maintained US Navy machine from the 60's. Having checked many photos, I have the impression that these machines did not weather so badly as the flat finish planes of the 80's-90's, so I need some subtle solutions. Do you think I am right with this? What techniques and materials would you use to replicate faded panels and traces of use in this case?

I am looking forward to any inputs - thank you in advance.

ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 07:08 AM UTC
From what I can see they really dont get all that dirty. I've found a few oil streaks and a little soot staining from the guns. Other then that not much.
To accent the panel lines you can do a wash, pre-shading, post shading etc...up to you.
I did some digging on this question as a 1/32 A4 is my next build.
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 10:33 PM UTC
Hello Shawn,

I see thank you. I guess I will do some pre-shading with black on some of the more prominent panel lines and control surface joints, and in the end I will add a wash but this time with Paynes gray rather than my usual dark brown. Maybe a very little fading with white oil on the top fuselage panels. Maybe a little dirt on the wing roots where repair crew walks. Also there is usually a prominent grime streak on the side vents of the engine.

I will try to keep it subtle, I usually tend to overdo weathering so it will be a challenge

ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 07:31 AM UTC
Im right there with ya, as a WW2 builder I usually do my birds pretty beat up.
Im trying to build "cleaner" birds this year.
 _GOTOTOP