_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Hasegawa Typhoon
Azarius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 100 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 04:33 AM UTC

Anyone done this kit? Mine comes in this week...

Tips? Tricks? Cautions? Painting hints? (IE - what to paint on the sprune) etc?

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hi there Azarius

You need to have a word with Holdfast. He built a beautiful Typhoon a while back. :-)

Good luck with your Tiffy...

Rowan
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 03:46 PM UTC
I built one in 48 scale. Excellant aircraft, and model. The antannaes on the bottom are abit tricky and frail.

~Chip :-)
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 05:22 PM UTC
Excellent kit, I built one a couple of years ago. I'm referring to the car door version. You did not state which version you were getting. On the car door version, the only trouble I have encountered was the fuselage insert, despite my effort to be careful I still ended up with a step to deal with.
http://photos.imageevent.com/uscusn/raffaawwii/websize/P48TIFFY03.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/uscusn/raffaawwii/websize/P48TIFFY05.JPG

Overall a pleasure to build and display. Which is the fun of it all.

Chuck
Fly Navy

Azarius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 01:10 AM UTC

Yup, that's the one Uscusn... My grandfather was an ordinance loader during WW2 for them, and I figured it would make a great christmas gift... This will be my first aircraft model... Can't wait to get started...

BTW, looks good mate! Hope mine turns out as nicely... Still waiting on my Canadian Military background check to find out which squadron he was assigned to, so I can paint/decal it properly....

Did I mention I was excited??
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 10:49 AM UTC
Azarius,
Here's a picture of my car door Typhoon

You will find more images in my gallery Mal's Models
The best way to deal with the fuselage inserts is to add them to each fuselage half before the halves are joined. Teast fit and sand, if/where necessary, this will/should give you a good fit. A little filling and sanding will still likely to be required. The cockpit is very well detailed, just requiring seat belts. I have a picture, somewhere, which shows the connection behind the seat on the upper decking. Let me know if you would like a copy. Note that the decking behind the cockpit, under the canopy is a continuation of the upperserface camouflage and not black, as my be indicated elsewhere. For the undersurface recognition stripes (these are not D-Day invasion stripes) temporerily tack the undercarriage doors into place. Paint the white, mask, then paint the black. I paint very little on the sprues, prefering to remove items for cleaning up. Then providing a means of holding, using tooth picks, double sided tape on card, and the like. I do leave small delicate items on the sprue, sometimes, if I can clean them up.
I'm about to loose my connection so I will have to post this. Anything I can help with this build just PM me or post here.
Mal
Azarius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:43 AM UTC
Nice work m8!

Hope you don't mind if I use your pics for some direction.

Q: Did you use PE for the seatbelts, or make your own?
Q: What were the lines made out of on the rear of the aircraft (from body to tail)?
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 07:00 AM UTC
Ditto what others have said regarding the fuselage inserts around the cockpit. It takes some work to fix it. Otherwise, a very nice kit.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 08:58 AM UTC
Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner. I lost my connection about 30 seconds after my last post and I haven't been able to get back on until my phone line was sorted today.

Quoted Text

Nice work m8!

Hope you don't mind if I use your pics for some direction.

Q: Did you use PE for the seatbelts, or make your own?
Q: What were the lines made out of on the rear of the aircraft (from body to tail)?

Use the pics as you want :-)
The buckles on the seat belts are PE, I threaded paper through them. They are actually quite authentic. I'll see about posting a pic of the seat belts.
I assume you mean the IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) antenna wires? On this model I used shearing elastic. I now use Invisable thread, which is easier to work with.
Mal
Azarius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:49 PM UTC
I'd love to see a close up of those seatbelts!
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC
I just started building my Revell Kit. Which has the car door instead of the later version. BUMMER, Anyway, I've run into alot of extra flash. So I've had to do alot of cleaning up as I have benn working. everything seems top be fitting pretty good So far ! I hope to have it built and finished by Saturday. (Latest) So wish me Luck. Anyone else build this particular kit ??
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 25, 2003 - 10:16 AM UTC
:-) Finally managed to find the pics of the seat belts. They are PE buckles, threaded onto strips of brown paper, holes have been punched with an old, sharpened, compass needle.

I do have a drawing, somewhere, of the belt configuration but I'm struggling to find it. I will keep looking
Mal (:-)
Bravo-Comm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Friday, December 26, 2003 - 01:39 AM UTC
Well I finished mine.And ran into alot of problems with filling in gaps around the fuselge door, The canopy ddi not fit correctly and several other places that required abit of work. So I really had to put more work into this kit than I think I should have. I would not want to do it again. And I'm an experimence A/C moderler. So even though it came out looking Fair. I was not really very happy with it.
Azarius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 02:11 AM UTC
Sweet Holdfast! Thanks for the followup. I'm going to try and scrounge me up some paper for those buckles.

My model came in, but it was the wrong one. It was the MarkB, but it was in 1/72 scale, and the wrong company. Decent model though so far. Not a lot of flash, everything is fighting pretty well...

Bus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 846 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 01:55 PM UTC
it is a lovely kit, but i faced some troubles with the cockipt assembly
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 01:57 AM UTC
:-) I would just like to add that this is a very good kit. Yes the seperate parts for the different cockpit parts are possibly not the best fit in the world, but all that is required is a little forthought (add them to the fuselage halves before joining the halves) and test fit and remedy any fitting problems. Which, afterall, is part of the model building process anyway. A small sacrifice for several versions of this aircraft :-)
Mal
Azarius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 03:53 AM UTC
I'm still waiting for my Hasegawa Typhoon kit to come in, and I'm using the 1-72 as a testing palette basically... Especially for the camo. I'm still waiting to hear back from the National Archives of Canada to find out exactly what RAF squadron my grandfather was in, so I can paint it properly...
Azarius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 29, 2003 - 01:54 PM UTC
(*()@#$*)@#(*$()@#*$@#)(!!!!!

Just went back to the modelling shop. Asked about my Typhoon order. Said his distributer no longer carries it!

@#())*@)#(!!! !!!
Azarius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 01:48 PM UTC
Okay, I'm pretty much complete my little 1/72 Typhoon. I wasn't really impressed with the kit, but I worked with it. I learned SO MUCH from doing this model (as in, what NOT to do!)... Can't really wait to apply it to my next model.

(and I hate my camera)

The cockpit didn't fit well at all in the body. Real pain in the butt... Wings fit rather well. I've got a better feel of what I should (and can) paint on the sprune, and what I should remove. I've definately got a better feel of how to do a camo paint job. Also, READ the instructions for decal placement. I'm still at a loss for the tail wires at the back. I pretty much massacred it. *lol* Also, don't get glue on decals. NOT good. Painting the cockpit was a pain. Spent too much time detailing the instrument panel only to find out that you can barely see it with the canopy closed. There's quite a few places where I'm going to have to keep a keener eye on my sanding job. And putty (read a neat trick about masking the area off before applying putty) so I'm going to try that next build.

I was happy with the way the landing gear came out, for the most part. They sit abit flared out, but that's okay for me. Something to work on. I was also happy the way MOST of the decals turned out... I did a primary burnt umber wash, and I'm pretty pleased how it came out (although you can't see it in the pictures)... I may do another one, and then apply some pastels around the engine exhaust area.

I'm actually a little bumbed now. I have no models to do... Perhaps I'll visit the store tomorrow and get another plane to practice on. I hear spitfires are nice this time of year...
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:21 AM UTC
:-) Spitfires are nice any time of the year :-)
Your Tiffy turned out pretty good. A couple of tips for your next aircraft build. Paint the tyres dark grey, instead of black, it looks more realistic. To get the wheels aligned, support the model by it's wings, while the glue drys. Generally fix the gear legs first, let the glue dry, then the wheels and let the glue dry. I actually use superglue, so I don't have to wait, but I test fit and check the alignment and sit a number of times before commiting to glue. Often, if the axle/leg isn't at right angles to the leg/axle or the ground, I will temporarily fix the wheel in place (white glue, push fit or whatever works) while positioning the legs. This also aids in front to back alignment as well.
Mal
Azarius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 07:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the tips Mal! I was waiting for your input.
 _GOTOTOP