_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Seafire XV Aeronavale - 1/48 Special Hobby
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi gang,

here is another model I built over the past two months. It is the MPM/Special Hobby kit built oob. This is of the newer generation toolings of MPM and fits quite well. Detail is also very good. Still it is short run and no shake'n'bake kit...

I chose this markings as the mor colourful was already chosen buy a clubmate for his 1/72 scale Sword kit.

Sorry no in Progress pictures as I built it mostly in the evening after work..

all the best

Steffen
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 08:33 AM UTC
Steffen! My favourite Seafire variant in my favourite markings - of course a winner in my book ! I like it a lot!

Magnus
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 09:19 AM UTC
Thanks Magnus!

I also like it though I would have preferred to put some combat markings on them. It seems it was only used in France and neither in Indochina nor Algeria. Still I wanted French markings an thus I am happy with it

cheers

Steffen
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 09:22 AM UTC
It did have a "reputation" when it came to carrier operations, I am almost sure that the French only operated the Seafire XV from shore bases! So exactly as you wrote: no combat and no overseas deployments for these!

Magnus
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Nice one!

I hope to see it in the flesh soon. Even if it wasn't used in combat a little more exhaust stains wouldn't hurt in my opinion. The us style fuel tank looks quite unusual on a Spit... er Seafire. Nice touch.

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 08:01 PM UTC
Many Thanks Jean-Luc,

yep I noticed it when I took the pictures so I added some exhaust staining. But I like the racing style look with this camo and thus kept it minimal.

I liked this tank and added it without knowing if it is a real feature of the Seafire XV in Aeronavale service. It just looks cool and different.

I will bring all newly built kits to Siegen (if they survive the travel to the next club meeting in Bremen (i visist BMC))

I'll take some pix of the Zero today and the Hurricane is also finally done (see storm front thread)... BTW I hope to close the V-14 Project also in the coming week.

BTW did you already get the Spit IX? I reminded Jan (because I have a week vacation now) but he did not respond .. seems do be busy

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 08:53 PM UTC
Nice one Steffen!

I can see what you mean about the overall finish, but I'd tend to go along with Jean-Luc in being tempted to dirty it up a bit. I faced a similar dilemma with the Sea Hornet, where the real aircraft was always pretty clean in photos, but I felt a little artistic license helped on the model.

Enjoy your week off - but if it turns out like the one I just had, don't be surprised if you look back at the end of it and wonder where all the modelling time you'd planned vanished to!

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 09:20 PM UTC
Thank you, Rowan!

well, I build my models for the visual effect "model in hand" not for photos. These tend to eat up much of the weathering. As I wrote I noticed the lack of exhaust stains, which I added yesterday else it is waethered enough. It is as Magnus wrote these were used in France under peace conditions...

as for time. I know you are right. I served the time to finish things from my pile of started models. This frees up space and gives a faster result (most times). I hoped I would get the new Spit in time for my vacation.. but it is not here yet. I think I can manage to finish a further 2 kits, maybe 3... everything else would surprise me but we will see.

I posted the thread in General Aircraft as it neither fits WW2 nor Cold War. I see you think it is more appropriate for WW2, so thanks for the move!

all the best

Steffen
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 09:51 PM UTC
Hi Steffen

Yes, it's borderline - but I reckoned it creeps into our 1949 criteria for "WW2" as, according to Wikipedia, the French re-equipped with Hellcats from 1950 (which marks the start of Aeroscale's "Cold War").

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP