_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Well worth a read "No Empty Chairs" Ian Macke
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hi guys and gals
I found this in our local library.
Even though I'm only half way through I'd recommend this to you as a brilliant account of WWI aviation.

From Amazon,

Review:
In the spring of 1917 the Royal Flying Corps was losing 200 pilots a month, with life expectancy for young flying officers standing at just 11 days. Constructed through surviving letters and diaries, this harrowing and detailed history, written by a former pilot, looks at the terrible toll that the war took on these young men embarking on a new age of warfare. CATHOLIC HERALD No Empty Chairs describes in vivid detail the often short lives of the young pilots of World War One... This book is one that has a very human feel, in that it does not simply look at the combat or the planes, but at the people who flew them, who risked their lives in them and who died in them. An appealing work that is both moving and efficiently accurate in its details WARFARE MAGAZINE an interesting overview of the whole war... I enjoyed reading this well written and researched book... the photographs are good too CROSS & COCKADE INTERNATIONAL

About the Author:
Ian Mackersey is a writer and documentary filmmaker specializing in aviation biography. He began his career as a writer for the Dominion and later the New Zealand Herald, and lived in Britain and Zambia before returning to New Zealand.

Chris

_GOTOTOP