_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/144 Eastern Airlines Decals
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
AeroScale: 231 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 02:50 AM UTC
Ok, so I don't post all that much over here on Aeroscale, but I have a problem that you guys might be able to help with. I have an Airfix 1/144 Lockheed L-1011 Tristar from the 1970s, and the British Airways decals that came in the kit are toast. I've had the kit since 1993, and I think that it's high time that I build it. I grew up down in Miami, FL, and I remember that Eastern Airlines used this aircraft. Does anyone know where I can find decals for an Eastern Airlines L-1011 in 1/144 scale? I know that Liveries Unlimited made a set, but I think they are out of business. I tried eBay, but that wasn't very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Jim
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 03:01 AM UTC
Hope this helps ; http://www.twosixdecals.co.uk/STS44163-Eastern-Air-Lines-Lockheed-L1011-TriStar-Screen-printed-dec

Kind regards,Sven.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 03:36 AM UTC
The Two Six sheet is also available from Airline Hobby Supplies if you don't want to deal with international shipping.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 04:00 AM UTC
That works! Thanks, guys. I think the decals cost more than the kit!

Jessica, doesn't look like I'll be able to get into your Ancient Airfix Campaign with this one.

Jim
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,507 posts
AeroScale: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The Two Six sheet is also available from Airline Hobby Supplies if you don't want to deal with international shipping.

Jessica
Thank you for the link to the web site,new to me and have book marked for future purchases!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jessica, doesn't look like I'll be able to get into your Ancient Airfix Campaign with this one.

Well, I've already had people asking about Ancient Airfix part II: The Wrath of Humbrol, This Time It's Personal...

Are you going to muck about trying to correct the flap track fairings?
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 06:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I've already had people asking about Ancient Airfix part II: The Wrath of Humbrol, This Time It's Personal...

Are you going to muck about trying to correct the flap track fairings?

What's wrong with the flap track fairing? I don't usually build aircraft, so I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't of told me.

Maybe I will join the Airfix II Campaign. The Wrath of Humbrol! That's great!

Jim
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 - 06:28 AM UTC
Airfix got the number and position of the flap track fairings incorrect. There should only be 5 per side, and Airfix decided to put on 6. I suspect that's because they used an early pre-production drawing of the Tristar when they first tooled the kit. Neither the Airfix nor the Revell kits were terribly accurate because they were rushed into production in the race to be the first one on the hobby shop shelves.
Here's a drawing showing you what they really looked like.
The next problem is that the tail around the #2 intake is incorrectly shaped, but that matters only if you're a real Tristar accuracy fanatic. If you just want a Tristar shape to sit on your shelf, the Airfix kit is acceptable.
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 - 04:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the info, Jessica. No, I probably won't bother changing the flap fairings. Looks more tedious than I want to get involved with. It probably will never win any awards, but it'll look fine on my shelf. Sort of break up the monotony with the 1/25 trucks.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP