_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II: Germany
Aircraft of Germany in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Bf 109 E-3 (Eduard Weekend edition 1/48)
Antoon3103
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 146 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 09:22 PM UTC
Hello,

I present some pics of my latest build, the 109 E-3 from Josef Priller in France 1940.
Only screwup is the fact that u can see some superglue remains on the inside of the canopy. If someone knows a way of covering these, please let me know.

Greetz
Tony
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi Tony

Great work on the spectacular colour scheme!

I'm afraid I don't know of a way of "de-fogging" clear parts, short of careful sanding and polishing. Although a clear coat can help prevent fogging, I avoid using superglue near canopies etc., preferring PVA (or epoxy if I need a really strong joint) that won't harm them.

All the best

Rowan
Antoon3103
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 146 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 08:31 AM UTC
Rowan,

Thanks for the kind words.

Quoted Text

I avoid using superglue near canopies etc., preferring PVA (or epoxy if I need a really strong joint) that won't harm them.

All the best

Rowan

A lesson learned for me.
I try PVA on my next build.

Greetz
Tony
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 12:07 PM UTC
Very nice work! All that mottling turned out really good.

I'll have to second Rowan about the fogging.
Using super with clear parts that form a sealed space where the fumes can't escape freely are at risk of fogging. I've heard it to that clear parts dipped in Future should be resistant to fogging, but I haven't tried that myself.
PVA and similar glues are indeed a safe choice with canopies. Microscale Kristal Klear, and Gator's Grip glue are worth checking out too.

If you're thinking about getting a new canopy, Falcon has a vacform canopy for the E-3 under their Squadron canopies line. It says its made for either the Hasegawa or Tamiya kit. Zvezda's F-2 and F-4 kits come with a whole extra canopy that goes unused, which to my knowledge is suitable for the E-3 (sprue picture, on the right). There could be folks out there with the extras they didn't use. Of course, there's always the option of buying the whole kit...
 _GOTOTOP