_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Does anyone know much about these?
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 02, 2013 - 01:36 AM UTC
While I am preparing to embark on a diorama project, I'm still looking for further subjects to model.

I found a resin model, in 1/72 scale, of a Bristol Titan on Ebay.

After a while, I began some research on this engine.

I found out that this, possibly, powered the AVRO 504N.

I say possibly, because Wikipedia isn't known for complete accuracy in its articles, and that there are instances when a submitter supplies erroneous informatiobn, as while the Wiki article on the Titan says that the 504N was powered by it, when I went to the article on the 504 and looked up variants, the 504N was listed as being powered by a different engine.

Still, I am intrigued.

So, I'm asking if there is any truth to this, and if so, where could I go to find photos, even color illustrations of the Titan-powered 504N?

Incidentally, I found models of the 504N in Hannants catalogue.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, April 08, 2013 - 03:43 AM UTC
I know nothing of the Bristol Titan, but, Data on the Avro 504N is available from www.flightglobal.com , the web site af Flight Internation magazine. Click on the Archive section and follow directions. the archives go back to 1911 or 1908 (Or back to the begining) the datas for the 'N' are from 1923 to about 1933.

the 504N was designed like the 504K with a universal engine mount (to fit any engine available) 'K' rotary engine; 'N' radial engine, so any light engine like the Lynx or the Titan could and probably were used. the 504was the Britsh equivalent to the Curtiss Jenny of the same time period. Used by the Military and the Civilian aviators of the time.

Hope this helps.... Enjoy
Captn Tommy
 _GOTOTOP