_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Aviaeology Worst Decals Ever
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 - 02:47 PM UTC
So I had bought a set of Aviaeology decals to do up my Mosquito, well they are the thickest hardest decals ever to work with. They won't sit down using conventional methods, the instructions recommend using the eraser end of a pencil to push them down, but if it is a larger detail the decal goes over it does not stretch, will tear, leave creases, and will not fit like regular decals. And if it is small crevasse, like a engraved panel line, is won't go into it. I let them dry for a bit, and then the edges start to curl up. Never again. And to add, on the decal paper the decals look like they are in perfect register, once you get them on the model you can see they are not. Well that is a lesson learned the hard way, stay away from Aviaeology Decals.

Hopefully a company will come out with some Canadian content decals that actually can be applied to the model.

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 - 05:43 PM UTC
This is the first I've heard of problems with Aviaelogy decals. I have 6 sets; just never tried them yet.

I believe they had an 'improved' set out after the original printing.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, April 05, 2013 - 06:38 PM UTC
You don't get any of those problems with paint masks and you can have any subject you like

Kitmaker Network members get 10% off
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 01:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

you can have any subject you like

Any subject ??!!
SgtRam
Staff MemberEditor-at-Large
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
AeroScale: 511 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 01:21 AM UTC
I have tried MicroSol, SolvaSet, and MarkFit, is seems nothing soaks into the decal itself. According to the directions you have to soften from underneath, thus you have to puncture the decal to get something under it. What ever they they use for ink as part of the screening process is thick and very difficult to work with. And as I mentioned, they look in register on the sheet, but once on the model it is a totally different story.

I still have a few to put on, and I am serious thinking off scanning them and printing on clear decal film.

I do like the fact that they are Canadian content, and there is a lot of research put into them, BUT they need to find a better way of printing them!!!!
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 01:50 AM UTC
For these type of problem decals I resort to Agama's decal solutions

http://www.jadarhobby.pl/agama-liquids-for-decals-p-7833.html

Adhesol is a mixture of acetic acid and gum arabic. Use it to stick down the edges of decals that curl up.

Hypersol will tackle the thickest decals.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 02:07 AM UTC
And then if that doesn't work, try the boiling water trick: dip a sponge or soft cloth in just-boiled water and press firmly down on the decal (don't move the cloth from side to side) for 20 seconds or so. Remember to protect your fingers from the heat.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 06:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Any subject ??!!

You seem skeptical Ben? Yes any subject, there are limits but if you don't ask you wont know if your subject can be produced
 _GOTOTOP