_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Tamiya P-51D Mustang in IAF
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
AeroScale: 263 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hello Everyone, after finishing the Zero I decided to start with this one. Because of the current low budget (actually none) I can't buy any aftermarket. So the only addition that I will use will be the IAF Decal sheet by Sky's decals. To be more precise I will try to replicate the first Israeli P-51D nicknamed "Zulu"
in Natural Metal Finish.

Here's one picture of it, I've seen it on lots of different blogs/websites so I think I'm allowed to share it;

source

And profile from the decal sheet;

Boxart and the decal sheet ;

If anyone has any suggestions or can share anything that can help please share it!
Also If one has extra Zoom PE set by eduard or just the IP that is for trade, please contact me either via the PM or :svenharjacekmodels(at)gmail(dot)com .

Kind regards, Sven Harjacek.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 05:41 AM UTC
Looks like a great project. I think I can help a little, if you check your PM's.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, April 07, 2013 - 07:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like a great project. I think I can help a little, if you check your PM's.

Thanks Ben!

I would like to thank Ben a lot for sending me some aftermarket items for the Mustang free of charge!

Cheers, Sven
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 05:47 AM UTC
Got a small update, While waiting for the aftermarket parts that were kindly provided by Mcleod. First I managed to swap a decal sheet for a Photo-etched set and masks for this mustang. I've been working on the Instrument panel and dry-fitting all the stuff ( Only the wings are glued together). I'm very satisfied with the details and fit so far.

Kind regards,Sven
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 06:00 AM UTC
I always love a good IAF mustang, and I like that you are going with a NMF bird instead of the typical modeler's choice of tan/blue camo
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 06:34 AM UTC
Thanks, I'm still looking for good references from above so I can replicate the different tones of NMF.

Cheers.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2013 - 07:47 AM UTC
I've got a question, is there anything that I should paint black in the cockpit apart from the floor,IP,radios and side details?

Kind regards, Sven.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2013 - 05:58 AM UTC
Hi Guys, I'm almost finished with the cockpit. Apart from the seat and control panel I will add a light filter and semi-gloss clear coat. I unfortunately didn't get any replies regarding the cockpit color so I mixed the color by myself.

Hope you like it.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 07:56 AM UTC
While waiting for the aftermarket items I've done the wheel bay;

Hope you like it, Sven.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 10:24 AM UTC
Great work so far Sven. Your detail work in the cockpit is really neatly done, and the weathering looks good in the wheel wells.

Looking forward to more progress.

Cheers, D
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 08:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Great work so far Sven. Your detail work in the cockpit is really neatly done, and the weathering looks good in the wheel wells.

Looking forward to more progress.

Cheers, D

Many thanks Damian

Kind regards,Sven.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 01:45 AM UTC
Sven, just caught this blog, so I couldn't help with the cockpit colours. You did a great job on it. Model Master Interior green is a dead on match for what North American used. However, weathering and wear and tear did take their toll, so any shade of green that is close is correct.
Wheel wells-CHECK YOUR REFERENCES! All important Depending on the timeline and the factory (California or Texas) wheel wells were 1 unpainted (bare aluminium) 2 zinc chromate yellow or 3 zinc chromate green, so good luck there.
Looking forward to watching the rest of your build
Later
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sven, just caught this blog, so I couldn't help with the cockpit colours. You did a great job on it. Model Master Interior green is a dead on match for what North American used. However, weathering and wear and tear did take their toll, so any shade of green that is close is correct.
Wheel wells-CHECK YOUR REFERENCES! All important Depending on the timeline and the factory (California or Texas) wheel wells were 1 unpainted (bare aluminium) 2 zinc chromate yellow or 3 zinc chromate green, so good luck there.
Looking forward to watching the rest of your build
Later

Hi Bruce, thanks for all the suggestions.
The problem is I can't trace where the mustang came from, some say Italy, some say Sweden. I've seen them done in all three ways and I cant find a good picture from below. Well, If I find one and it Isn't green it will be repainted for sure.

Kind regards,Sven.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hey Guys, small update since I'm waiting for aftermarket parts;

Wheel bay finished ;

Gun barrels replaced with hypodermic needles ;

Hope you like it, Sven.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 06:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, I'm still looking for good references from above so I can replicate the different tones of NMF.

Cheers.

so some things to note about mustangs in NMF.

mustangs had a laminar flow wing - which had all the joints puttied and the whole wing sprayed with sealing primer and then silver lacquer paint - so the wings are not actually NMF (nor should they have panels lines except for the gun/ammo panels) except for the wingtips, flaps, ailerons, and fuselage fairings (ammo panels were painted silver lacquer most the time, but obviously their edges were not puttied)

However, while that statement is true for any new or well maintained mustangs, mustangs that have been stripped of paint probably lost the silver and primer coats too, and probably the putty in the joints too.

A mustang from an indirect, used source that was hard used may or may not have a NMF on the wings with panels lines showing. Look closely at any references. If the entire wing appears to be the same shade except for the ammo panels and wingtips, then it is probably silver overall silver lacquer.

and of course the fabric control surfaces will always be in silver lacquer on a NMF bird (probably only concerns the rudder in your case)

example of the wing done in silver lacquer with the rest in NMF from a mustang I completed a couple years ago (i did a fair amount of research on panel shades too if you want to copy my pattern, though that aspect doesn't show so well in the pics for whatever reason):

SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers.

so some things to note about mustangs in NMF.

mustangs had a laminar flow wing - which had all the joints puttied and the whole wing sprayed with sealing primer and then silver lacquer paint - so the wings are not actually NMF (nor should they have panels lines except for the gun/ammo panels) except for the wingtips, flaps, ailerons, and fuselage fairings (ammo panels were painted silver lacquer most the time, but obviously their edges were not puttied)

However, while that statement is true for any new or well maintained mustangs, mustangs that have been stripped of paint probably lost the silver and primer coats too, and probably the putty in the joints too.

A mustang from an indirect, used source that was hard used may or may not have a NMF on the wings with panels lines showing. Look closely at any references. If the entire wing appears to be the same shade except for the ammo panels and wingtips, then it is probably silver overall silver lacquer.

and of course the fabric control surfaces will always be in silver lacquer on a NMF bird (probably only concerns the rudder in your case)

example of the wing done in silver lacquer with the rest in NMF from a mustang I completed a couple years ago (i did a fair amount of research on panel shades too if you want to copy my pattern, though that aspect doesn't show so well in the pics for whatever reason):

Thanks for the input Vance, It will be very useful to me. I will try and replicate the NMF you did, the model looks great by the way! This time I won't be filling in the panel lines, I'm a little afraid how to redo the raised detail, also I'm not sure will I be able to fill it good enough not to show through the NMF finish. I have another mustang in stash on which I will try to fill in the panel lines as you said.

Do you think this diagram is correct?

Kind regards and thanks, Sven.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 03:00 PM UTC
yeah, that is probably pretty close, though i think the wingtips were natural metal on some planes and i would think the panel lines near the guns shown would have been puttied over too (or a pic o two of a plane with the paint stripped fooled me)

a lot of mustangs lost their putty and silver paint along the way, and since Israel used well used mustangs, no problem going NMF on the wings.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 01:25 AM UTC
Thanks Vance!

The parts that Ben sent me finally came so I could continue with the build, I've finished the cockpit and the fuselage halfs are currently drying, big thanks to Ben for the parts!

Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 06:35 AM UTC
That seat looks really good in your cockpit, Sven. I'm so glad the AM is working out for you.
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 06:50 AM UTC
Excellent build so far, Sven!
I have a Hasegawa Mustang in the stash and I don't want to paint it with a natural metal finish. Does the decal sheet you are using allow to depict IDF Mustangs with a camo scheme?
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 08:29 AM UTC
Thanks Guys!

Giacomo, yes it does provide 3 decal option for camo mustangs from 105th squadron, I can offer you all markings except for the insignias that I will be needing, send me a PM so I can send you scans or pictures.

Kind regards,Sven.
SHarjacek
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 03:47 AM UTC
Here Is an update, I Have a little rescribing left and a problem. I'm not sure how to redo these "beads" ( Not sure what's their name, but you can see them in the last picture) The flaps and landing gear doors were replaced with resin items sent to me by Ben. Any ideas on redoing those "beads" would be appreciated.

Kind regards,Sven.
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 04:48 AM UTC
Sven,
thanks for the offer and the info! Don't worry about that, it's going to be a build I will deal with in the future... and this means I might change my mind on the livery!
Thanks again and kind regards,
Giacomo
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 02, 2013 - 09:18 AM UTC
Those "beads" represent Dzus fasteners (quick-release fasteners used on panels which are removed frequently). The best way to restore them is to get a piece of metal tubing with the proper diameter, sharpen the end, then rotate the tubing in place where the fastener needs to be. If they're really small, a hypodermic needle from your Doctor is a good way to do them; just cut off the sharp point so it's not too dangerous.
 _GOTOTOP