_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Revell-Monogram 1/48 Mosquito IV RCAF Advice
fbustelo
Staff MemberNews Reporter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 01:53 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

I am an experienced ship modeler and I haven't done an airplane since I was a wee lad but I won the Revell-Monogram 1/48 Mosquito IV RCAF at a modelling contest this past weekend and was hoping to get some recommendations on references for this airplane and aftermarket resin and photoetch parts that could be used to detail this model. I am looking to build the aircraft represented by this kit and not converting it into one of the variants.

So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Felix Bustelo
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 03:04 AM UTC
Sadly the Revellogram Mossie is not the most accurate model out there (if the box you have is indeed the old 45-odd year old Monogram kit and not the relatively new Revell Germany kit), so aftermarket bits made to fit another kit may not fit it. Can you post a picture of the box contents so that we can get an idea of what you're working with?

There are lots of good resin goodies available. Check out Ultracast for more decals and resin than you'll know what to do with.

Most aftermarket is made for the Tamiya Mossies, given that they're widely accepted as the best kits currently available. Having said that, if what you have is the new Revell Germany tooling, the only aftermarket you may want is a set of seat belts or replacement seats with belts attached; the rest of the kit is really excellent already. If you absolutely love photo-etch, Eduard has enough to keep you happy for days.

There are many different references available for the Mossie; it's one of the iconic aircraft of the 1940s, and has been widely covered.
fbustelo
Staff MemberNews Reporter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi Jessie,

Thanks for the quick reply. The kit is indeed the old Monogram kit that was re-released by Revell:

http://www.freetimehobbies.com/RMX855320/

I would like to add a little pop to the kit so if you think Eduard photoetch for the B Mk IV kit is suitable enough I think I may go that route.

This will be a good "first" airplane model so I will live with the inaccuracies - hell it was a relatively free kit!

I did see that True Details makes a couple of different wheel sets for a Mosquito TRU48017 1:48 True Details Mosquito Block Tread Wheel Set #48017
and http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/tru48093.htm
any advice as to which one would be correct?

Thanks again for your help,
Felix
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 04:55 AM UTC
The way to tell whether it's the old Monogram kit is if there are options for both the bomber and fighter noses in the kit, and the cockpit details are pretty sparse. Also look for a date moulded onto the kit somewhere; Monogram used to do that.

The True Details wheels are nice-ish, but to me they look flat once they're on the model; no operational aircraft would ever have tires that under-inflated (the bluging is radically overdone) so I didn't recommend them. If you wish to get them, then go ahead, but speaking for myself, I'd prefer to sand a small flat on the bottom of the kit tires instead.
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hi Felix

Over the years I have built 10 or 12 of this particular kit. For decades it was the only 1/48 scale kit out there. The Tamyia kit and the newer Revell of Germany kit pretty much killed it off. Shape and size of the Monogram kit was pretty much dead on, however, the interior was absolutely naked compared to what the real machine crammed in there. The exterior was missing a few details also

Tamyia did a great job with their Mosquitos, but you have to buy 3 different kits (at 3 times the price) to get what you get in the Monogram box. Revell of Germany is also a great kit, but they only released the B Mk IV, and-tho I haven't built one yet-are reported to have messed up the landing gear (too short). Airfix did and does have a B Mk IV in 1/48 scale, but again, I haven't built it so I haven't a clue how it goes together. Knowing Airfix tho, they have their size and shapes right.

The amount of aftermarket decals out there are astronomical, so pick a theater, find a mark you like and have at it.

References are legion. I have Ospreys 2 volume set and Squadron Signals 2 volume set. As well as a few more coffee table size books

Go find the Devil in the Dark Campaign, a bunch of guys are doing Mossies, mine being the Monogram kit and you can see how these things go together.

As for the decals that come with the kit, they are well printed and easy to use. You can't go wrong

Have fun, good luck
Later
 _GOTOTOP