_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Paint/decal question
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 12:13 PM UTC
So I'm looking at the WNW Fokker D.VII and the tips section on line suggests painting the wings before putting on the lozenge decals as decals won't stick to bare plastic. I get that. My question is, can I just gloss coat the bare plastic and skip the "paint" stage? The decals are going down on the gloss coat anyway.

Haven't done anything where whole sections are covered with decal like this before, so I thought I'd ask before I screw something up. Thanks!

Michael
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 02:47 PM UTC
My personal inclination would be to lay tamiya primer (not the fine kind, the regular stuff), then gloss. I can't guarantee its not just a psychological benefit, but I feel like the gloss coat would adhere to it better than bare plastic. And then in turn, the loz decal would adhere better.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 05:52 PM UTC
I would agree with Richard, but I'm sure that a good gloss coat would be OK, but I personally wouldn't use it on its own. If you want to save a stage use a gloss paint
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2013 - 08:02 PM UTC
Hi Michal

I do as Mal suggests and use a gloss buff-coloured paint as an undercoat. As well as giving a good surface for the decals to adhere to, painting in a solid colour has the added advantage of highlighting any flaws that need correcting.

All the best

Rowan
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
AeroScale: 2,904 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 12:32 AM UTC
Yeah, thought about the gloss paint after I posted. Guess that makes the most sense all around (forgot about the seam-finding aspect). Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Michael
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, July 22, 2013 - 03:16 AM UTC
I've always air brushed on Glosscoat over flat paint. The shine basically comes from the gloss lacquer filling in the valleys so the surface is smooth but still has a little bite, so that the decals have no problem sticking to it. With the use of Johnson & Johnson's Future clear acrylic floor finish it's a whole new ballgame. Future will stick just fine to any unpainted plastic surface, as it has no problems sticking to any type of floor.

Joel
 _GOTOTOP