_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Question on Albatros D.V rigging
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 04:03 PM UTC
...well, the control lines - mostly

I'm working on Eduard Profipak 8112 kit, Albatros DV (with Kurt Monnington on the box art).

The kit comes with PE aeliron hinge arms (term for those)/covers and rigging diagram (and box art) shows control lines running from bottom wing top plane to the bottom plane of the upper wing.

Now, comparing it to WingNut Wings finished Alb.DV - there are no lines, just the hinge/cover...

So some models appear to disagree and I've even seen some modern flying full size replicas do it both ways.

Which one is "correct" or was this some sort of early production / late production thing
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 04:07 PM UTC
The D.V had the aileron control wires running through the top wing, and therefore had the fairings at the hinges. The D.Va was rigged like the D.III with the aileron control cables running through the lower wing and used the pair of cables running up to the aileron without fairings. Eduard is incorrect in showing both together.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 04:25 PM UTC
Thanks - I knew something was amiss when the two don't really fit, as the lower fairing/hinge are in the same place - I really need to next time I start on the Eduard build.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 - 06:50 PM UTC
the control cables drop from the centre rear of the upper wing between the guns just in front of the ammunition continers to the wheel on the control stick assembly. If you want it clearly shown download the PDF of the intstruction manual from WNW, theres a wealth of info in it.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 - 01:21 AM UTC
Here is a bit of fun on the subject. Please note also that there are a couple of issues with the kit. The pilot step is too far back and the lug for mounting the propeller is on the wrong side of the hub. See here too.

StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 - 06:57 PM UTC
Wealth of information - as always, thanks!

I did finally order a NWN Albatros - I've built half a dozen Eduard 1/48 D.V offerings (following instructions) by now and I'm still "surprised" when something goes just I think I have a worthy build.

Maybe building a correct Albatros in a larger scale will make me more proficient in smaller / less correct brethren...
 _GOTOTOP