_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
New Cyber-Hobby Vampire Build Log
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC
I'm doing this build as a review, so to that end I am building totally OOB with no scratchies.

Firstly let's say this is a brand new tool kit. And the fit is generally excellent. Excellent to the point that all progress in this first post took only one and a quarter hours to accomplish.

But it's not perfect. Let's take a walk through the cockpit.

Star Trek fans may recognize this control panel from the original series. A little mixup there...

There is no RAF blind flying panel here. No control yoke, only stick. The stick is off centre like an F16. It's easier to just show what it should look like:

There is simply no resemblance. This is not up to snuff for a modern kit. The seat and rear bulkhead fare no better.

I did paint this pit super quick, but there really isn't much room to improve it without scratching seatbelts, a new IP, new or heavily adjusted seat, control yoke, rudder pedals, fuel stop lever and gunsight. So there it stands. That is the pit you get.

Things improve drastically from here though. For the purposes of review all the following photos feature no post-assembly sanding, the joints and seams are exactly as they are once you glue it. I shaved and cut the sprue attachment points, and the (very subdued) mould lines on the parts before assembly. But left all seams untouched, glue overflow and all.

Here we see Mr. Sulu's workstation.

The intakes are wrong. But no company has ever done them right to date. When you see a Vampire in 1:1, and I am fortunate to have one live not far from me. The vanes in the inlets are just one and a bit inches deep. To prevent smallish personnel being inhaled it seems. They do not go all the way back into the inlet like this, and all other kits indicate.

Aside from that they are very well engineered. The whole inlet is one solid piece that installs onto the lower wing half. Totally painless and idiot-proof, which is a big help for me.

The fit is nothing short of great in nearly every spot. The point where the excellent slide-moulded booms meet the wing is not one of these spots. Most everything else snaps neatly and firmly into place, the booms fit very loosely. This is irritating because it leaves alignment totally up to you, it makes for the only truly fiddly part of the assembly and unfortunately if you muck it up it will show.

The trailing edges of the wings are another issue. Generally kits like this have the fine trailing edge moulded onto one half of the wing assembly, the other ending where the flaps and aelerons begin. This kit has both halves going all the way back and as a result the trailing edge is at least three 64ths of an inch thick. Which would scale to 3 3/8" in 1:1. I know the Vampire had a fat wing but that's ridiculous. The horizontal stabilizer is nice and sharp though.

The flaps are totally positionable, they're a bit tricky to install but really it isn't an issue. Plus if they go wrong it should be easy to remove and start over. You can see the panel line detail, it's overstated, but only so much as is probably necessary in 1/72.

So so far the fit is really very good. The cockpit sucks frankly. And the trailing edges will need some very careful sanding. I will post what it looks like with the joints sanded and filled next.
usethermite
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi, Richard. Yeah, I posted a similar comment in another thread about the intake vanes. Very odd. The only company that does it right is Alley Cat. The vanes are provided as pe parts. But then, Alley Cat is the place to go for all things Vampire . The kits are pricey but worth it for very accurate Vampires. I have their Mk.5 and Mk.9 kits. The Cyber-Hobby cockpit is, indeed, an complete wash. What were they thinking . Well, it'll give the AM boys something to make, I guess. Still and all, what with the vanes and cockpit, you gotta wonder if they even looked at a Vampire. Anyway, nice build so far. Will follow closely. All the best and happy gluing, JT
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 - 03:53 PM UTC
It's a good thing that Vampire cockpits are black. What's that triangular thing at the front of the cockpit opening? I don't remember ever seeing something like that on any Vampire I've ever seen. The Vampire's instrument panel was flush with the bottom of the windscreen and wasn't covered with any kind of shade or coaming. What the Heck, Dragon?
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 - 10:08 PM UTC
Very informative JT. Thanks for the effort to share with us. I'm loving this place.

Winter
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 03:02 AM UTC
Very interested to see how this turns out. I am doing a similar build review of Cyber Hobby's Helldiver here
The plastic in the box looks great and the interior detail is fab but I am finding more and more issues as I go along, dive brakes that don't fit, haphazard instructions. So much so that I'm beginning to get a bit bogged down. It'll be interesting to see what you experience with this kit.
All the best, Mike.
raypalmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,151 posts
AeroScale: 985 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 - 02:21 PM UTC

So I applied alclad. I only had ye olde small Jar testors enamel for gloss black and had used that as primer. Evidently alclad doesn't like it? It ballooned away in places.

So being the fool I decided a splash of lacquer thinner would pull the alclad and testors away. And it did, but it kept on going right into the styrene.

And on my very first build review too
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 - 02:32 PM UTC
Awwwww, poor thing. Is there a chance that the plastic may solidify and you'll be able to repair the damage?
This post was removed.
This post was removed.
This post was removed.
This post was removed.
This post was removed.
WoodshedWings
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 141 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 12:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So being the fool I decided a splash of lacquer thinner would pull the alclad and testors away. And it did, but it kept on going right into the styrene.

And on my very first build review too

Oh flip!!

That's why I think these build reviews are so useful as they are a 'warts 'n' all' expose, which enable subsequent builders to avoid the pitfalls encountered by the reviewer. It's tough on the poor reviewer but sometimes, in war, sacrifices have to be made.
Good luck with the rest of the build. (If indeed it can be revived)
 _GOTOTOP