_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
FE.2b Beardmore engine
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Monday, May 06, 2013 - 03:52 AM UTC
The attached picture is from RAF Museum Cosford, in the midlands of England, UK.

I was perusing my trove of photos from my English adventure of 2008, and found this picture. I had taken it because it was an old German type engine and a good painting reference. Little knowing I would get the WNW FE-2B five years later. (after all who would produce a Non-DH-2 WWI Pusher model in any scale) so at lunch time today I was looking at my pictures from RAF museum Cosford (the location of the big planes). When I saw this again.
First thought, the carburetor is on the wrong side!!!! Now the Beardmore is a copy of the Austrian Daimler and my Austrian Daimler pictures show as was common to this type engine the Carb on the Port side of the Engine.
Eureka Moment! This engine is setup for pusher operation, … Now what aircraft used the Beardmore for pusher operation?
Your guess is probably as correct as mine…. The Farman Experimental Number Two Beta.
This photo should blow up fairly well. I especially like the spaghetti wires of the magnetos and their color. This is more detailed that the pictures of the engine in the various datafiles I have, and it is in color. It's in my gallery.
Enjoy
Captn Tommy

Thank you for the photo directions
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 - 08:44 PM UTC
You may be interested in these pictures of the Beardmore engine fitted to The Vintage Aviator Ltd's reproduction FE.2b.

More photos are in my Photobucket album, including some hi-res images

http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/Jamo_kiwi/library/Beardmore%20160hp?sort=6&page=1

Cheers
James Fahey
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 06:55 AM UTC
Awesome photos. I esspecially like the oil stains and leaks. I will duplicate them on My WNW Fee.

Those leaks remind me of the Sikorsky CH-53E to which the addage "If its not leaking your out of Oil" applies."

Thanks
Captn Tommy
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 06:56 AM UTC
BTW... Is the second FE.2b flying?
Captn Tommy
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 - 10:26 PM UTC
Yes it is, the following photos were taken last November at the TVAL Remembrance Day airshow.

Cheers
James
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 - 01:23 AM UTC
Beautiful images. Thanks for posting.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 - 03:32 AM UTC
Fantastic. If you go up at night do you have to mount radar reflectors, wood frame aircraft tend to be fairly stealth... :-)

Captn Tommy

Not that you would go up at night!
 _GOTOTOP