_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Pics of my WoW Campaign Sea Harrier
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hi folks,

here are a bunch of snaps of my progress on my WoW Harrier.

Main stuff done so far:
1. Ribbing added to wheel wells
2. Left and Right Turbine Inlets/Vanes carved out of existing kit and made out of styrene.
3. New Nose wheel light made out of clear plastic
4. Cockpit made out of Neomega resin set.

More pics can be found at my Webshots link(link at bottom of post)

Feedback welcome..
Cheers.
BP.
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 08:26 AM UTC
BP,
That is looking real good,What type of paints do you use to paint your cockpits?
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2003 - 03:37 PM UTC
Hi Andrew,

I use a combination of Testor enamel paints and Fevicryl(local Indian make acyrlic paint) to paint my cockpits. I generally give a primer coat to the cockpit parts before painting, so that the paints have a tooth to grip on to. Otherwise, while mating fuselage halves, the painted bits tend to get scratched here and there.

BTW, I use a toothpick to paint my instrument panels and small dials and knobs. Helps to stop paint from smearing around, which is the case when I use a brush .

Drybrushing done with silver, with multiple passes.

HTH...

Cheers,
BP.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hi BP

She's looking VERY nice! :-) The resin cockpit looks great! :-)

What are Fevicryl acrylics like?... should we be pestering are local shops to import them?

All the best

Rowan
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hi Rowan,

Thanks . The Neomega resin set is an absolute beauty, I must say. It really was a far better improvement over the existing kit stuff, which is horrible. BTW, AFAIK, this kit(SHAR Kit) has been discontinued, and it's not available any more in shops, from what I've heard.

As for Fevicryl, it's actually a combination of white glue and acrylic color. It's generally used here for fabric and pottery painting. It's got a great grip, and dries within 4-5 hours. Can be washed out with water before drying. Manufactured by a company called Pidilite( Website ) here in India. I've seen a French dealer on the Web who imports this stuff. You may find it at any Indian store or locality near you. Pretty cheap too : Just Rs 30(abt 1/2 British Pounds) for a 20 ml bottle or so, and comes in a variety of shades.

I've started using it b'cos I found enamel paints gave me breathing problems while spraying, even with a mask on. The Bf-110 for the BoB Campaign was done entirely using Fevicryl.

HTH,
Cheers,
BP.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC
First of all, it looks like you've taken on quite a bit here. I really didn't know anything about the Harrier or Harrier kits until I started reading Modelling the Harrier I and II by Osprey Publishing.

The cockpit looks like it's coming along pretty good.

One thing that I do see that needs work is those Turbine inlets/vanes (not sure that's the correct name. I brought the book with me on my business trip so I can finish the review so I'll look up the name and provide some help with that area of the kit). Fixing those is a major undertaking and will take plenty of work to get them to look correct.

Now, a couple general questions, what scale and what kit is this?
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:43 PM UTC
Hi Tin_Can,

Thanks for your response and comments. I have done whatever I could so far, without any proper references. I simply could not get any off the Web !

I used an article at ARC on a Sea Harrier by Everett McEwan. He also had made the same kit. Have done a lot of additional scratch detailing, and the turbine inlets are one of them. The original kit didn't have the gaps as shown in the picture; I made them by carving out the area and putting in strips of styrene to simulate the vanes.

Oh BTW, this is a Tamiya Kit. Royal Navy Sea Harrier FRS 1. Scale 1/48. Will be painting it in Indian Navy schematic, IN606 working off the carrier INS Vikrant. It was delivered in 1984.

And thanks for your offer of help. However, I don't think I'll be able to make any further modifications in the remaining time left(have only another 18 days to go or so..) for the build. Thanks anyway !

Cheers,
BP.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 03:50 AM UTC
Hi there fellow WoW campaigners,

Here are some more pics of my Sea Harrier in progress.

I say progress b'cos there is still some work pending, especially around the canopy areas. Still have also to scratchbuild the drop tanks, and that shoudl be done by the weekend or so.

Feedback welcome...more pics are available at my Webshots link (click on my signature image below )

Cheers,
BP
 _GOTOTOP