_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
The Pony and the Storm
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 - 04:11 AM UTC
Well what we have here are two out of the box builds both in 1/72 as I just needed to get some no fuss models built.

So first is the new mould Airfix F-51D Mustang which is a super little kit by the way, it's all ready for paint and just a smidge of filler was needed.

Next up is the Revell Hurricane IIb a tad more filler was used and a fair bit of flash needed to be removed, only issue I have is the gun blast tubes for the wing outer guns should extend slightly from the wing leading edge so I'll be adding them from some metal tube as the kit just has holes.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 10:21 AM UTC
Nice one Lucky
I built the Revell MKII Hurri in Finnish markings a few years ago and thought it walked all over the Airfix offering.
The new P-51 looks great. Personally, I'm going to be picking up the new mould Tiffie asap and using it as a warm up for the MDC Typhoon.
Estimated start date 2023 at this rate

What paint schemes do you have in mind for these?

Nige
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 11:03 AM UTC
Thanks for looking in Nige, the Hurricane will be finished as an aircraft of 601 squadron 'County of London' 1941, while the F-51 will get Fuerza Aérea Dominicana or Dominican air force markings for a aircraft from 1984. All decals are the kit supplied ones.

These are a warm up for the lottery build campaign and pass the time between sanding sessions on the 1/48 MQ-4C Triton conversion I'm doing.

Good luck with the MDC tiffie, I have three of the Hasegawa 1/48 kits which I'm ready to attack, once the bench is cleared that is, bit of a queue building up.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:30 PM UTC
Mmmm I may get the Airfix P-51? I am currently building the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk 1 for my grandaughter (she is only 4 months old and can't quite manage it yet)and that is a nice kit.

Give me a shout when you are planning to start the MDC Tiffie Nige (as long as it isn't to far in the future) and I'll start mine as well
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mmmm I may get the Airfix P-51? I am currently building the Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk 1 for my grandaughter (she is only 4 months old and can't quite manage it yet)and that is a nice kit.

Are you using mask's on the Spit Mal?

The new Airfix Pony is a great kit for the scale and price, couple of days ago I had a look at their new 1/72 Tiffie and that blows away some 1/48 kits with detail. I'll pick one up soon I think. Airfix have a new 1/72 Hurricane Mk.I and Fw-190A-8 on the way, if they are as good as the new pony and Tiffie then they'll sell like hot cakes.

Oh, not much progress just attached the canopies and painted the interior colours on the said canopies, what can't be seen is I added some seat harnesses from tape on the pony.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hi Luciano,

Quoted Text

Are you using mask's on the Spit Mal

You need to ask It will be finished in the markings of K8999 QJ-K Geoffrey Wellum's first Spitfire The serial is almost the hardest to produce in 1/72 scale, but I have a plan

Nige that reminds me I have had Geffrey Wellum's signed book, "First Light" for some time. It got lost under stuff around SWMBOs PC with all the moving things around while finishing the refurbishment. Does your mate still want it?
 _GOTOTOP