_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
F-14A Tomcat USN VF-143 Pukin Dogs 1977
skyhunter66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 41 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 04:27 AM UTC
So I got the Academy 1:48 F-14A Tomcat on Ebay nice and cheap and it looks a good kit from what I can see. However the last time I made a USN fighter it was the early 1980's so I am a bit unsure about the colours.

This F14A is the USN VF-143 'Pukin Dogs' of 1977 with I think upper Gull Grey and lower white. It also has a yellow-ish nose cone.

So question is what are the correct colours for the upper and lower sides and also what is that yellow for the nose?

I have a load of Tamiya, Humbrol and Valejo colours so I would ideally like to use them!

Anyway any advice would be appreciated

Chris
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 - 08:15 AM UTC
The grey is light gull grey FS36440, the white is 37875 and the radome tan is 33613.

The IPMS Stockholm colour charts list matches to FS colours in the major paint ranges.
skyhunter66
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 41 posts
AeroScale: 39 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 12:41 AM UTC
ok thanks Jessie - looks straight forward which I like!!
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The grey is light gull grey FS36440, the white is 37875 and the radome tan is 33613.

The IPMS Stockholm colour charts list matches to FS colours in the major paint ranges.

A small correction Jessica.....that is FS16440 or Gloss Gull gray. Gloss white for the bottom and control surfaces. A lot of gloss whites will match. White is white at 1/48.

They went to overall flat gull gray eventually but in 77.....unless it was a prototype paint job it was still gloss.

Winter
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 08:18 AM UTC
If we're dividing rabbits the paints should be gloss, it's true but when you take into account the effects of sun and salt on the paint it probably would be nearer to flat at the end of the day. Also, flat paints cover better for most people and we do gloss coats for the decals anyway. This is not to mention that model paint ranges are more often offered in flat finish and in 1/48 it looks better for a final finish in semi-gloss rather than full gloss.
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 - 09:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If we're dividing rabbits the paints should be gloss, it's true but when you take into account the effects of sun and salt on the paint it probably would be nearer to flat at the end of the day. Also, flat paints cover better for most people and we do gloss coats for the decals anyway. This is not to mention that model paint ranges are more often offered in flat finish and in 1/48 it looks better for a final finish in semi-gloss rather than full gloss.

Agreed. But we all have to have a common starting place. Most of us start with factory issue and decide to weather it before or after pigment application. I hear ya.....the sea weathers these aircraft to semi gloss dirty pretty quickly....but we all have our own choices about presentation. From 1st flight to the Arizona bone yard.

Does that make sense?

Winter

Personally......I like a light primer to check for seams and scratches and to give some bite for the following gloss coat. I then spray the gloss white and mask. then the gull gray. I then decal and finish off with a semi gloss. Then weather with acrylics. No decal gloss coat needed. The decals love the gloss gull gray. But that's just me.

Something like that.....lol
 _GOTOTOP