_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Conversion kits
melkavitch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 11:43 AM UTC
Hi all,
I'm coming back to the hobby I enjoyed years ago. I've accumulated kits, working on airbrushes, paints etc. My question is this - I see conversion kits, for example an Me - 109 F to G for the Airfix kit. Are these conversion kits only for the particular manufacturer or can they be used on other makes? A Hasegawa kit used on an Academy? I'm wondering before I buy a kit and find out it can't be used.
Thanks,
Mike
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 - 12:52 PM UTC
Hi Mike,
While I don't have much experience with conversion kits, I would suggest to use the base kit recommended on the conversion sets instructions. Just to be on the safe side. There can be differences between two kits of the same aircraft by different manufacturers, how they break down into the component parts and even subtle differences in sizes. All this can mean that while a conversion set might be for a Hasegawa Messerschmitt which it fits perfectly, it might not work with a cheaper Airfix. One I have to hand is a conversion for the old 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Vb to change it to a Seafire III. Its specifically designed to fit that kit and doing a dry fit I found It won't work with the better Italeri Spit. The wing roots are completely different so the replacement wings won't fit. I would research first and ask about particular sets and what they fit.
melkavitch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 12:32 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen. I understand your points and will do some research and check carefully before I do anything.
Mike
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 26, 2013 - 11:13 PM UTC
I have built many kits using conversions, either to upgrade it or to make a totally different item. By using a different base kit you may run into more problems than necessary. It is possible to to use a non suggested kit, though to save time and sanity try not too.
 _GOTOTOP