Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Torpedo Würger
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 02:16 PM UTC
Hi there. This is one of the Fw.190's that I've been fiddleing for some time too. I don't know why I beat about the bush so much. Anyways it is the Fw.190F-8/R-14 Torpedo bomber version from Revell in 1/72 scale. The mold is mostly the same with the rest of the series but since the aircraft is a special one they changed the tail with a Ta-152 unit. It is really interesting because the fuselage mold is one piece (sides) and it is really smooth, you don't realize the difference in tail unit if you don't know it. It is a build for a friend of mine from university. Although he is building large size industrial sluptures he is not into scale models so he asked me to do it...4 years ago
Anyways here it is:

RLM 76 all over except the upper wing surfaces.

Camouflage with 74-75 and a little bit post lighting(instead of shading).

Since I couldn't find any photo of this specific aircraft that I have the markings of I felt myself free to improvise looking at the similar type paints and left the flanks straight and mottled the tail and cowling only.

Exhoust pannels painted...

I sawed off the canopy block as I generally do with the Revell 190s since I like them open and they give them integrated then added the clear part...it is a pain in the...donkey...

Left over black paint turned into a quick free-hand Warmachine sketch...I love my Sprite...
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 - 02:20 PM UTC

Decals were a little problematic. Most of them are incorrect size. I had to use the dreaded Academy crosses but after sufficient ammount of chemicals they have been domesticated. But unfortunately since I used too much chemical and physical activity some paint is lost around the wings...gotta paint again.
At the moment I am fiddleing with the torpedo it is carrying. I hope to finish it this week but hey..who knows..
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 12, 2013 - 12:55 AM UTC
Well to be honest I did the decals too but stoped for a while when I broke the torpedo while trying to clear the props...but...

I cleared the single mold props, used Tamiya 1/700 Gato screws and rebuilt the vertical rudders from styrene sheet.

Oh when I say "styrene sheet" I actually ment cleaned yoghurt case:}
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 01:57 PM UTC
Pheuw!!!! It's been long but I finally menaged to finish it.

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 02:36 PM UTC
Very nice, but how did that thing manage to take of with that huge thing under its belly ?
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 12:10 PM UTC
Thank you. Beats me I always wondered that too. I would say "it is not as heavy as it looks" but it must be. IT IS A TORPEDO! I had to sand off the pylon slightly it was touching the ground if I left it out of box but this is all I could menage.
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 12:28 AM UTC
Wow, very cool model.
Superb painting & weathering considering the scale. I like it a lot

Cheers
Pedro
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 01:12 AM UTC
Thanks.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 13, 2014 - 08:08 PM UTC
A really nice build of a unusual variant of the FW190 family. Paint, decaling, and weathering is really quite well done.

Like Rob, I wondered how it was able to get airborne before it ran out of "runway". I can visualize a few bumps and shallow pot holes down the grass field that would cause the tail of the torpedo to possibly strike the ground. Not a fun thought for the pilot
Joel

_GOTOTOP