_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Resin 1:32 Fokker E. Cowl
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 - 02:59 PM UTC
A fellow modeler has punched out a 1:32 resin cowling for the WNW Fokker Eindecker kits. Mine just arrived today. More later.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 04:33 AM UTC
Greetings all,

When it comes to reviews I have learned to take as fair a hand as I can. I also understand my view is what some people take for gospel when it comes to this subject matter. So when I get a review item whether I receive it from the manufacturer for review or I purchase the item(s) I must be as fair as I can.

Manufacturers show their wares here and an off handed or prejudiced comment can do harsh and un-needed damage. The other side of the coin is when I purchase something its mine to do with as I please but again an off handed or prejudiced comment can do harsh and un-needed damage.

So I have learned here at Aeroscale to approach all of my reviews with a little more humble attitude. That said I have to include, I approach individual modeler products a little differently than larger manufacturers. We will look at a replacement cowling for WNW 1:32 Fokker Eindecker with the Oberursel U.I 100hp rotary.

Fellow modeler Ron Kootje of the UK has started selling a drop in replacement cowling that coincidently will accomidate not only the kit rotary but a new resin item from Taurus Models. The Taurus Models replacement rotary is a most impressive kit. See Taurus Models kit review here.

The cowling is commendably thin and has some good details. I purchased one through Ron an his e-mail and it arrived about 10 days later. [email protected] Through this process Ron has done some learning as well and I have to say he seems to be stepping up to the challenge. Resin casting is not an easy task. The item I received has some pits and needs to be primed and sanded smooth on the outer surface. Ron has recognized this and he is taking measures to work with the resin mixture to avoid this issue. The cowling is £6.00 total.

While I can recommend this item note you should be warned it may need some surfacing to prep for finishing.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 04:35 AM UTC

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 04:37 AM UTC

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 05:16 AM UTC
That almost looks like a piece of thin aluminium which has been dropped by clumsy ground crews a time or two. It just makes it look that much more authentic
 _GOTOTOP