Modern aircraft of the United States.
re: 1/32 scale A-10A N/AW Two-Seater
ubisuck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 461 posts
AeroScale: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 12:36 AM UTC
HI, can someone please guide me here on what is the best company/version that requires the least amount of After Market items as money is tight and those AM aren't cheap.

And as I pointed out in the title, I prefer 1/32 or 1/35 size. I saw a Trumpeter and an Hobby Boss version. Are there more?

TIA

Marc
stevelow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 04:03 AM UTC
Hi,

As far as I know the Trumpeter kit is the only 1/32 N/AW. Verlinden makes a set for it that is under $30 on Ebay. I built the kit for my Father-in-Law who designed the canopy for the A-10 N/AW. It's an early Trumpeter and it will need a fair amount of filler. Especially around where the engine nacelles attach to the aircraft. I would also recommend not using Tamiya paints for the body color. The FS number match they have is way too dark. I had to use it (long story why) but since he was still happy with it and didn't want me to change it. I found it a fun and challenging build. Hope you enjoy it too.

Steve
ubisuck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 04:14 AM UTC
Great. I don't know why I was under the impression that Hobby boss was doing one also. Thank you for all this information.

Marc
stevelow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hobby Boss' is 1/48 and from what I've read in reviews, is a scaled down Trumpeter.

Steve
ubisuck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 04:32 AM UTC
Steve, you can call me dumb if you want, but I don't understand something.

That Verlinden add-on, do I still need the 2 seaters airplane and the Verlinden is just replacing the interior of the cockpit?

or do I need a regular A10a and cut the single-seat cockpit and replaces it with the Verlinden?

/me is confused. I usually build armor.

TIA
stevelow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 05:03 AM UTC
No worries, would never call you dumb and I'm sure the shoe will be on the other foot when I start my first armor kit shortly. :-) The Verlinden set is a cockpit replacement for Trumpeter's 2-seat N/AW. No plastic surgery will be needed. Also, if memory serves me, it fits pretty well with very little fitting needed. Verlinden is selling one on Ebay and I believe they have the best price too. Though I am not sure if having it sent to Canada will be more expensive.

Hope that helps. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Always happy to help.

Steve
ubisuck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 05:16 AM UTC
Thank you. I also asked the question to an eBay seller which I buy from regularly.

So just confirm this: I need a regular Trumpeter A10 in 1/32 or I need the Trumpeter 2-seaters.

After that answer, I'll be ok ;-)

Finally lol

TIA

Marc
J8kob_F
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 202 posts
AeroScale: 92 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 05:41 AM UTC
Acording to his answer if you are using the verlinden set on the picture you need the 2 seater.

Jakob
ubisuck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 05:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Acording to his answer if you are using the verlinden set on the picture you need the 2 seater.

Jakob

Thank you Jakob. My eBay seller said that any one-seater from Trumpeter will do the job, so I'm now more confused. And with the price with S&H added for the two-seater is between 120$ & 150$ or more, addding to this another 30$. Hmmmm.

I should probably stick to armor

/closed
stevelow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 06:39 AM UTC
I'm sorry but your Ebay person is incorrect. Trumpeter makes an A-10A and an A-10 N/AW both in 1/32. Verlinden also makes a 1 seat set for the A-10A and a 2 seat set for the A-10 N/AW. To do the A-10 N/AW in 1/32 you need Trumpeter's 1/32 A-10 N/AW and Verlinden's 2 seat A-10 N/AW cockpit set. Using the 1 seat A-10A with the Verlinden 2 seat cockpit set opens you up to all kinds of unnecessary kit surgery. You would also have to scratch build the fuselage around the second seat as adding the second seat on the real aircraft was more then just cutting the fuselage and adding another cockpit. I built one and it was the A-10 N/AW with the corresponding Verlinden N/AW set. You can see in the picture I provided, there is no kit surgery to get the set to fit. No muss, no fuss. Please don't give up. After all, isn't the A-10 a flying tank?
ubisuck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 08:48 AM UTC
$$ will make me give up, did you see the prices of the 2-seaters on eBay? I'm on welfare Steve and there's things I cannot do, one of which is buying models over a certain price. Tanks are cheaper than a 2 seater A10A LOL. You cannot go far with a little more than 1000$ a month, specially buying an airplane at 125$ plus S&H plus the add-on.

I didn't expect nor did I research the prices before asking the first question on top. Sorry for making you lose your time answering my questions.
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:06 AM UTC
Though Steve explained the 2 seat cockpit option quite well.
Keep looking around and you'll probably find the 32nd Trumpy A-10s for a lot lower price. I won one off Ebay last year for $65 shipped.

Be aware that the Verlinden 2- seat A-10 cockpit is not all that accurate, nor is the aft canopy on the N/AW A-10 (2 Seat) kit. I'd like to see corrections for these areas sometime in the future.
Winter_Lion
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 - 10:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

$$ will make me give up, did you see the prices of the 2-seaters on eBay? I'm on welfare Steve and there's things I cannot do, one of which is buying models over a certain price. Tanks are cheaper than a 2 seater A10A LOL. You cannot go far with a little more than 1000$ a month, specially buying an airplane at 125$ plus S&H plus the add-on.

I didn't expect nor did I research the prices before asking the first question on top. Sorry for making you lose your time answering my questions.

Agreed....a modeler has to know his limitations. Bring your sights down a touch. Look into a 1/72 scale version of what you are looking for. Much closer to your budget my friend.

Winter
 _GOTOTOP