_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Tamiya Decals - To use or not
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
I have noticed that almost all models I see featured on sites say that they used aftermarket decals. Is there a reason for this? Is it just that people like variety, have tons of extra money to spend on aftermarkets, or is it that kit decals are of a low quality? I am building Tamiya's Spitfire Vb, things are going great and I don't want to ruin it with decals (if they are bad)?

And if people would encourage me away from the kit decals, can I trust all aftermarket ones?

Thanks.
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
My two cents - If it's a newer Tamiya kit they should be fine. I've purchased some of the older kits and the decals were a bit worn and yellowed so, I replaced them. Another thing to consider is if you are building a variant or AC with nose art not supplied then you have to go AM for decals.

If you like the decals you have and they haven't yellowed they should be fine.
tek2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi newtothegame
I find that the decals supplied with Tamiya kits, or most kits for that matter are a bit too thick, therefore harder to blend in to look painted on. You will find that AM decals are printed on a much thinner medium and have a much tighter color register, and finer details.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2003 - 04:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi newtothegame
I find that the decals supplied with Tamiya kits, or most kits for that matter are a bit too thick, therefore harder to blend in to look painted on. You will find that AM decals are printed on a much thinner medium and have a much tighter color register, and finer details.

This is kind of what I suspected. Now the question comes is it worth the extra $$.

Probably
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:33 AM UTC
My advise would be if you can afford it go for it, but shop around. Many aftermarket decals are compilations of markings for diferent aircraft types rather than just diferent markings for one aircraft type. I usually check out Hannants site, you can check a picture of what's available rather than paying for stuff most of which you will not use.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My advise would be if you can afford it go for it, but shop around. Many aftermarket decals are compilations of markings for diferent aircraft types rather than just diferent markings for one aircraft type. I usually check out Hannants site, you can check a picture of what's available rather than paying for stuff most of which you will not use.

Wow. I don't know if I will actually order from Hannants being in the US and all, but what a great site. Lots of pictures of the decals, so you can see what you are getting.

Thanks
buck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 437 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:49 AM UTC
I agree with Scott. If its a new sheet, it'll work just fine.

Some of the 72nd aircraft releases by Tamiya are a different story, however. They are actually reboxed Italeri kits. And my sample of the SH-60B Seahawk even has the same decal sheet provided by Italeri. Italeri has either the Cartograph or Zanchetti sheets. My experience with the Zanchetti is rather pleasant. Cartograph decals, however, are too thick and its not unusual that these decals wont stick to the surface. So if the Tamiya box provides you with Cartograph decals, Id suggest you shop around for aftermarket sheets.

Hope this helps.

capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 03:07 PM UTC
well, I know that some decals are not the best but , I usually use the kit's decals unless I want to do some different scheme or just to be different.
capnjock
Vazquez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 04:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have noticed that almost all models I see featured on sites say that they used aftermarket decals. Is there a reason for this?

Basically, to have something different from the standart OTB kit. I built my Spit Mk.V with Russian markings using an AM sheet and I really enjoyed having a Spit with no RAF roundels.

It got "2nd place" at a local contest !! I guess the judges were also tired of RAF Spitfires, hehehe. This is the only picture I have of it. (Sorry for the low quality of the image)

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 06:56 AM UTC
:-) Very nice looking Spitfire, I've yet to do one in Russian markings. As everyone knows, "you just can't have to many Spitfires" :-)
Not sure about your theory of the judges being tired of RAF Spitfires though, isn't that an RAF Spitfire FR.Mk XIVE in the background, with what looks like a 1st ribbon
Mal
Edit: NTTG, Sorry forgot to answer your question. I would be quite happy to use Tamiya decals. They might not be as good as some of the aftermarket ones, especially older ones, but most decals can be persuded to perform. :-)
Vazquez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) Very nice looking Spitfire, I've yet to do one in Russian markings. As everyone knows, "you just can't have to many Spitfires" :-)
Not sure about your theory of the judges being tired of RAF Spitfires though, isn't that an RAF Spitfire FR.Mk XIVE in the background, with what looks like a 1st ribbon
Mal

:-) Lol. No... that's a 3rd ribbon. First place was won by a P-47D in Brazilian markings. The category was "Beginners -> WWII -> Allied Aircraft -> Single Engine. By the way, that's another good reason why we use a lot of AM sheets down here. I can recall very few kits that comes with decals for Brazilian a/c ... AFAIK Hasegawa is about to release a P-47D-28 with Brazilian markings.

As you said ""you just can't have to many Spitfires". It's a beautiful aircraft and the Tamiya kit is very good for beginners like me. Maybe I'll build the Argentine Spitfire next...
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 03:04 PM UTC
Well thanks everyone for all of the info. It seems that AM might be a little easier, but kit decals will work with some patience.

I checked with the better half and patience plus extra $$ is better than quick and easy minus $$. :-)

Thanks again!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, November 28, 2003 - 11:01 PM UTC
:-) Vazquez

Quoted Text

As you said ""you just can't have to many Spitfires". It's a beautiful aircraft and the Tamiya kit is very good for beginners like me. Maybe I'll build the Argentine Spitfire next...

Be sure to post some pics, what Mk will it be?
Mal
Vazquez
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Be sure to post some pics, what Mk will it be?
Mal

I'll surely post the pics.

IIRC, the Argentine Spitfire was a HF.IXe. It was a single aircraft donated to the Argentine government for instructional purposes, but it was extensively used for propaganda purposes during the Perón government. I have to check out the magazine where I have the article about it with some pics.

Here in Brazil we had only two Spitfires. One was purchased for use as a flying testbed for a VTOL project in the 50's(Yep!! We've got some nuts down here too. #:-) ) and it was scrapped by the end of the 60's.

The other one is MA793, a Spitfire MkIXe with a Merlin 70 engine donated to the "Asas de um Sonho" museum by Rolls Royce. It is an airworthy a/c, painted in the markings of Johnnie Johnson. I was lucky enough to be invited to the ceremony when it was officially delivered to the museum and... man... I have to admit that the sight of a Spitfire flying over Brazilian skies brought tears to my eyes. It's something I never thought I'd see and surely is something I will never forget. : )

Greetings from Brazil,

Vicente
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 29, 2003 - 10:29 AM UTC
Hi newtothegame

This all seems to have gone a little "off topic", but that's hardly surprising when Spitfire's are mentioned!

My advice is to try some of the spare Tamiya decals on a bit of scrap, and see what you think... I used mostly Tamiya deals on my BoB Campaign Bf109E and, surprisingly enough, they were better than a lot of the others...

Hope this helps

Rowan
Stormbringer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2003 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi there
I've recently finished a P51D mustang by Tamiya and i encountered no problems with the decals.
HTH
Pete
 _GOTOTOP